Chapter Sixty Three - The Past Comes Back

TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains references to child abuse and child neglect. If any of those topic upsets you, please skip this chapter. Protect your mental health. Never forget that you are not alone.

"Thanks for giving us a ride, Steve," Cynthia said as she got into the back seat of the car.

"Yeah thanks," Dustin said as he got in. "I just don't understand why my seat is currently being sat in by Robin."

"Dude, it's my seat," Robin looked back at Dustin. "I ride in this car way more than you."

"Are you replacing me, Steve?" Dustin looked at him.

"Really, Henderson?" Steve looked back at Dustin. "You think I could replace you? I just work with Robin and don't want to be miserable."

"Aw, thanks," Dustin smiled at him.

"That's rude," Robin said.

"And let's go to my house," Cynthia said. "My mom made brownies last night and we have ice-cream in the fridge."

"All right then," Steve said. "To the Henderson house we go."

There was a lot of chattering about their days as Steve drove. There were complaints about work, parents, and school. There were questions about when high school would get better. There was laughter in response to that question. All around, it was just a good time to be among friends. Cynthia propped her knees up on the back of Steve's seat and tried to annoy her brother by flicking off his hat.

"Stop it," Dustin swatted at her hands.

"I'm not doing anything," Cynthia said. She swatted at his hat again.

"Stop it," Dustin said.

"I'm not doing anything," Cynthia repeated. She swatted at his hat again.

"Stop it!"

"I'm not doing anything!"

They both started swatting at each other. It was a pretty petty cat fight.

"Both of you stop it or I'm going to make you walk home," Steve said.

"And I'll make sure you flip you the bird as we drive away," Robin finished.

"Fine," Cynthia crossed her arms and sunk into her seat.

"Thank you," Dustin said as he straightened out his hat.

Steve pulled into the Henderson driveway. Everyone grabbed their bags and started to make their way inside. Cynthia stopped when she saw another car pull into the driveway. She froze when she saw who was driving it.

"Robin, Steve, get Dustin inside now," Cynthia felt a pit grow in her stomach.

"What?" Steve looked at her.

"Why?" Robin asked.

"Oh shit," Dustin saw what was making Cynthia so uneasy.

"Not the time for questions," Cynthia turned to her friends as she heard the door open. She put the key in Robin's hand. "Get Dustin inside. Call the police and tell them a man who is in violation of three restraining orders is at my property. Lock the doors, and whatever happens, do not let him inside."

"Okay," Steve said. He grabbed Dustin and Robin by the shoulder and heralded them inside. He could obviously tell that something was really wrong, and he didn't want to press his luck by pissing off Cynthia. Cynthia felt a weight be lifted off her shoulders as she heard the door lock. She turned around and saw that the man was mere feet away from her.

"Is that how you greet people you haven't seen in years?" he asked.

"Why are you here, Dad?" Cynthia asked. She crossed her arms and tried to keep looking at him in the eye. She kept reminding herself of all the bad stuff she had faced. Cynthia had literally faced monsters from a different dimension: her father was just one man.