Chapter Forty Nine - The Battle of Starcourt Mall

Cynthia leaned forward onto the middle console as they drove to wherever Dustin had set up his radio. It seemed that he picked the middle of nowhere to be his perfect destination.

"Jesus, how far is this place, man?" Steve asked.

"Relax, we're almost there," Dustin said.

"I'm with Steve," Cynthia sighed. "We're in the middle of nowhere."

"Suzie must be pretty special, huh?" Steve asked. "I mean, if you built this thing and lugged it all the way to the middle of nowhere just to talk to her?"

"I mean, nobody's scientifically perfect, but Suzie's about as close to being perfect as any human could possibly be," Dustin was swooning over his girlfriend.

"You have such a way with words," Cynthia teased.

"She sound made-up to me," Erica said. She looked at Steve. "She sound made-up to you?"

Steve stayed silent. She knew exactly why Steve wasn't saying anything.

"Why are you hesitating, Steve?" Dustin asked.

"I'm... I'm... I'm not!" Steve said. "I'm not! I think she sounds real. You know, totally, absolutely real."

"Left. Turn left." Dustin suddenly said.

"There's not a road here," Steve said.

Dustin didn't change his directions, "Turn left now!"

"Jesus! Hang on!" Steve turned the wheel. Everyone went flying in the back seat. Cynthia felt her skin grow hot and itchy where it touched Robin and Erica. Steve started to drive up the hill. "Whoa! Henderson, where are we going?!"

"Up!" Dustin said.

"Oh, Jesus!" Robin said. "We're not gonna make it!"

"Yes, we are. Come on, baby!" Steve was determined to make it work. "Come on, baby! Come on! Come on. Come on. Come on!"

The car stopped moving.

Robin looked at Steve, "Guess the Toddfather has its limitations."

Steve, Robin, and Cynthia all got out and started to push the car. Slowly, but surely, they managed to get the car up the hill. The second they reached the top, Dustin hopped out and starting to turn on the radio. Cynthia just stood back and watched. She didn't know a thing about radios, so she was glad that her brother was smart enough to figure this out on his own.

"Bald Eagle, do you copy?" Dustin said into the radio. "Bald Eagle, I repeat, this is Scoops Troop, do you copy?"

"Yes, I copy," Murray's voice came from the radio.

"Call sign?" Dustin asked. Cynthia smiled at Dustin's insistence to use call signs.

"Bald Eagle," Murray said.

Dustin wouldn't let up, "Please repeat."

"Bald Eagle. This is Bald Eagle!" Murray sounded irritated.

"Copy that," Dustin said. "Good to hear your voice, Bald Eagle. What's your 20?"

"We reached the vent," Murray explained what was happening. "I'll contact you when I need you. Until then, silence."

"Roger that, Bald Eagle," Dustin said. "This is Scoops Troop, going radio silent. 10-10, over."

"You really do know how to win them over, Dustin," Cynthia teased.

"Shut up," Dustin rolled his eyes and turned back to the radio. All they had to do know was sit and wait.

After some waiting, the radio came alive, "Scoops Troop, this is Bald Eagle. I've reached another junction."