Chapter Sixty Eight - '86 Baby

"I can't believe I let you drag me to this," Cynthia said as she walked into a party with Steve. She wished that she was as smart as Nancy and stayed home. "I should have done what Nancy did."

"You mean be all alone and not have a good time," Steve said. "Come on, Cynthia. I want you to have a good time."

"I wish that Robin wasn't on vacation, so we could just have a small party," Cynthia sighed.

"Look, be positive," Steve said. "We're going to have a great time, and you are going to help me get a new year's kiss."

"Oh, so you want me to be your wingman," Cynthia said.

"Exactly," Steve said. "Besides, isn't Eddie suppose to be here?" They were starting to weave their way through the crowd of people to the kitchen. Steve wanted some beer, and Cynthia didn't want to be alone. The music was blaring, and people were going crazy. It was clear that some people were already drunk. And it was only 10:00 PM. It was going to be a long two hours.

"He's stopping by later," Cynthia said. That was Eddie's code for 'I'm going to be selling weed to some people.' Cynthia was happy that she knew that code. She was even happier that Eddie was going to show up. If he didn't show up at midnight, she wasn't going to have a New Year's kiss.

Steve grabbed a cup and poured some punch in it. Cynthia knew that it was most likely spiked.

"You know, it's crazy that you've never been to a New Year's Party," Steve said.

"And it's sad that you're still going to high school parties even though you're graduated," Cynthia said as she grabbed a cup and filled it up with tap water.

"Low blow, Henderson," Steve said as he took a sip. "Besides, it's not a high school party. It's a party for seniors and the people who graduated last year. "

"And you making the jibe about me being a lonely bitch was any better?" Cynthia asked with a raised eyebrow. "Besides, you're clarification doesn't make it much better."

"Fair enough," Steve conceded. "Are we just going to stand here or are we going to party?"

"I like the sound of partying," Cynthia said with a smile. "Let's go."

They made their way out to the dance floor. It was a different kind of fun with Steve than with Nancy, but it was still a blast. Steve was showing off his horrible dance moves as Cynthia showed off hers. Luckily, everyone was so drunk that they didn't care. Besides, no one could dance well at these sort of parties. Cynthia didn't know how long she was dancing for, but eventually Steve danced his way into a group of girls. Cynthia left the dance floor and went back to the kitchen. There were some people crowded around the punch. Cynthia looked at the clock on the wall, and saw that it was thirty minutes to midnight. She walked through the house and onto the porch. She was fortunate that whoever's house this was had a roof over their porch. It kept off the snow. She felt someone wrap their arms around her, and they started to spin her around.

"There's my girl," Eddie said as he finally put her down.

"You're late," Cynthia said with a raised eyebrow.

"It's not midnight," Eddie smiled at her. He leaned down and tried to kiss her.

"No, no, no," Cynthia put her finger on his lips and stopped him. "You made me wait this long to see you, so know you have to wait until midnight to get your kiss."

"Now that's just not fair," Eddie pouted.

"I think it is," Cynthia smiled at him.

"You might regret that later tonight," Eddie said with a mischievous glint in his eyes.