Chapter Forty Six - Truth Serum

"The gate," Dustin managed to get the words out.

Cynthia started to pace, "This is bad. This is really, really bad."

"I don't understand," Robin looked at them confused. "You've seen this before?"

"Not exactly," Steve said.

"Then what, exactly?" Robin asked.

"All you need to know is it's bad," Steve said.

"It's really bad," Dustin took over. "Like, end-of-the-human-race-as-we-know-it
kind of bad."

Erica looked at them, "And you know about this how?"

"Um, Steve?" Robin sounded nervous. "Where's your Russian friend?"

They all looked at the place where the Russian guard was knocked out. The spot on the floor was now empty.

"Shit," Steve said. They all ran out of the room. Russian guards were starting to come at them.

"Halt! Halt!" the Russians were shouting.

"Shit!" someone exclaimed.

Steve started to push the kids, "Go, go, go, go, go!"

Cynthia didn't hear what everyone was saying. The blood was pounding in her ears. All she knew was that she needed to get her brother and Erica out of harm's way. She followed Steve. Eventually, the got to a spot where they could hide the kids. Steve opened the door. Cynthia pushed Erica then Dustin into the hiding place.

"Come on," Dustin said.

"Go!" Steve told them. "Just get out of here!"

"Go?" Dustin looked at him. "Come on, now!"

"You guys need to get out of here," Cynthia looked at her brother. "You're the only ones who know what's happening."

"Just go get some help, okay?" Steve said.

Steve looked down the hallway. Cynthia did the same thing. No matter what happened today, she was not going to let the Russians lay a hand on her brother. The kids scurried away into the vents. Cynthia, Steve, and Robin ran off, but it wasn't enough. The Russians captured them and dragged them away. Cynthia didn't know what she was going to face down here. She just hoped that in the end, Dustin was safe.

The Russians dragged the three of them into a small room. The trio was thrown against the wall. Then, Steve was pulled from the room. Cynthia and Robin pounded at the door. Cynthia wanted to struggle and panic, but she knew it wasn't going to do her any good. They were outgunned, outmanned, and pretty much outmatched in every way possible. Cynthia took a breath and tried to center herself. She focused on the sound of Robin's breath. She needed something to ground her to the moment.

"What are they going to do to him?" Robin asked.

"I don't know," Cynthia asked as she stepped back from the door. "It's taking every ounce of my strength to not freak out right know." She leaned against the wall and slid down. "Oh god, nothing can happen to him."

Robin sat next to her, "How are we going to get out of this?"

"We have to hope that Dustin and Erica figured something out," Cynthia said. "They're the only ones who know where we are." Cynthia put her head in her hands. "Oh god, I hope Steve will be okay."

"He will be," Robin tried to comfort her. "I understand why you care for him so much now. That dingus really is a good guy."

Cynthia looked at her, "Do you remember the first day we all worked together?"