Chapter Eighty Five - A Hero

The ride to Eddie's trailer was grim. They were all dressed for war. Cynthia took a breath and tried to steady herself with the spear and shield in her hand. She listened to Nancy as she got them all in line one last time. They were about to face the worse thing imaginable. Cynthia prayed that everything would turn out all right. She didn't have high hopes that it would.

"Okay," Nancy looked at everyone. "I wanna run through it one more time. Phase one. We meet Erica at the playground. She'll signal Max and Lucas when we're ready. Phase two."

"Max baits Vecna," Lucas took over. "He'll go after her, which'll put him in his trance."

"Phase three?" Nancy asked.

"Me, Cynthia, and Eddie draw the bats away," Dustin said.

"Four," Nancy said.

"We head into Vecna's newly bat-free lair, and flambé," Robin said.

"Nobody moves on to the next phase until we've all copied," Nancy said. "Nobody deviates from the plan, no matter what. Got it?"

"Got it," Cynthia nodded.

There was an understanding quiet around the RV. They all knew what they were walking into. Steve parked the RV, and Erica, Lucas, and Max walked out.

"Be careful guys," Cynthia said.

"Don't sweat it," Max gave her offered her a strained smile. "We're not the ones walking into the Upside Down."

"Just the ones letting Vecna into your mind," Cynthia said.

Max didn't say anything. The three kids just walked out of the RV. It was probably for the best. There was nothing else to be said. Steve started the RV back up and made his way to the trailer park. Cynthia watched as the dark world flew past her. Everything seemed so surreal. She thought back when she wished for adventure in her life. Oh, what she would give to go back to those days. It seemed like both a minute and eternity had passed when Steve stopped the car for the second time. They all got out and marched into Eddie's trailer. They all looked up at the hole that led to the Upside Down. It seemed so much more sinister than before.

"Here goes nothing," Steve said as he grabbed the rope and started to climb.

"What does he want us to do, applaud?" Robin leaned over to them.

Even though the situation was serious, Cynthia had to let out a little chuckle. Steve landed in the Upside Down. He ran away, but then came back with Eddie's Upside Down mattress. Cynthia was very happy that they would have somewhat of a soft landing. Eddie then Robin climbed into the Upside Down. Then, Cynthia followed suite. She landed on her back, and Eddie grabbed her arm and lifted her back to her feet. Nancy and Dustin climbed the rope into the Upside Down. They all headed outside to see Steve, Robin, and Nancy off on their part of the journey. Cynthia made sure to hug each of her friends before they headed to what could be death.

"All right," Steve corralled the girls away. "Let's go."

"Gotcha," Robin nodded.

As they walked away, Steve turned back to look at them, "Hey, guys, listen. If things here start to go south, I mean, at all, you abort. Okay? Draw the attention of the bats. Keep 'em busy for a minute or two. We'll take care of Vecna."

"You don't need to worry about us," Cynthia said. "I'm here."

Steve wasn't amused, "Don't try to be cute or be a hero or something. Okay? You guys are just..."

"Decoys," Dustin said.

"Don't worry," Eddie said with a slight smile. "You can be the hero, Steve. Absolutely. I mean, look at us. We are not heroes."