Chapter Forty One - Reunited

"The kids came back again last night to sneak into the movies," Robin said as they moved ice-cream from the back freezer into the front of the store. "I swear it's like the dingus wants them to come over. They seriously act like they're his children." She stopped and looked at Cynthia. "Honest to god, how did Steve 'The Hair' Harrington manage to collect a gaggle of teenagers?"

"I'm telling you, Steve happened to be in the right place at the wrong time," Cynthia said. "One minute, my brother and I are asking for help, the next, Steve has adopted a whole bunch of children."

"I don't believe you," Robin said as they put the ice-cream in the front freezer.

"It's the truth," Cynthia shrugged.

There was just a few things left out. More like a lot of things, but that wasn't important.

Next on Robin's and Cynthia's agenda was to watch Steve fail miserably at trying to pick up girls. They sat on the counter as Steve talked to some customers.

"Five bucks says he doesn't say anything," Robin whispered in her ear.

"I say that he's going to say something, attempt a conversation, then crash and burn," Cynthia whispered back.

They shook hands. The deal was made. All the had to do now was sit and watch.

"Alrighty, one scoop of chocolate. That's a buck-twenty-five," Steve rang up the girls. "Anything else?" His eyes brightened as he saw the girl's shirt. "Ooh, Purdue. Fancy."

"Yeah," the girl nodded. "I'm excited."

Robin and Cynthia leaned in. This was the moment of truth: would Steve continue the conversation or let it die naturally?

"Yeah, you know, I considered it, Purdue, but then I was like, you know what?" Steve started to talk to the girls. Cynthia smiled. She knew that she was going to win the bet. Steve continued to try and talk to the girls. "I really think I need some real-life experience, you know, before I hit college, see what it feels like. Kind of like, uh, I don't know, see what it's like to earn a working-man's wage, you know?" The register beeped. Steve looked at the girl. "Oh, I'm sorry."

"I think that's, like, really important," the girl went along with the conversation.

Cynthia's eyes widened. This bet hinged on the fact that Steve was going to crash and burn, not get a date.

"Yeah, totally," Steve nodded. Then, he moved in. "Yeah, anyway, this was, like, so fun. We should kind of like, you know, I don't know, maybe hang out this weekend or..." Steve dropped the girl's change. "Oh, sorry about that."

The girl looked like she was trapped, "I don't know."

"Maybe next weekend or..." Steve offered.

"Yeah, I'm busy," the girl shut down that idea.

"Oh, that's cool. I'm working here next weekend, so the following weekend's better for me," Steve really tried to save this conversation.

"No. I'm sorry, I can't," the girl shook her head. Her and her friends started to walk away.

Cynthia wasn't glad that her friend couldn't get a date, but she was happy about the five dollars she had just made.

"This is my first day here," Steve sighed.

Robin grabbed her whiteboard and made another mark, "And another one bites the dust. You are oh-for-six, Popeye."

"That's a bit harsh, Robin," Cynthia winced.

"Yeah, yeah, I can count," Steve brushed her off.

"You know that means you suck," Robin told him.

"Yep," Steve nodded. Cynthia could hear the irritation in his voice. "I can read, too."