Chapter Eighty Four - The Calm Before the Storm

Cynthia laid her head on Eddie's shoulder as they drove to the magic store that had all the guns. She felt exhausted. She couldn't remember the last time she got any sleep.

"You all right, Cynthia?" Dustin asked her. "You look like you're about to drop."

"I am as fit as a fiddle, Dustin," Cynthia sighed.

"I don't think so," Robin said. "You look terrible. I mean, we all look terrible, but you really look terrible."

Cynthia pursed her lips, "Thanks, Robin."

"I went too far?" Robin asked.

"Just a little," Cynthia said.

"She is right, though," Erica piped in. "You look pretty terrible."

"Well, that's probably because I can't remember the last time I slept, I was just in the Upside Down, and, oh yeah, we're trying to stop a telepathic serial killer who wants to destroy the world," Cynthia said.

"We pushed too far, didn't we," Dustin said as he scratched the back of his neck.

"What gave it away?" Cynthia asked.

"Probably the fact that you're being a little bitchy," Eddie said.

Cynthia looked up at him, "You are lucky I love you."

Eddie gave her a cheeky smile, "I know."

Cynthia couldn't help but smile back.

The rest of the ride was spent in relative silence. Everyone was tired and the weight of what they were trying to do was weighing on everyone. After a little bit in the car, Cynthia felt the car stop.

"So much for avoiding angry hicks," Nancy's voice said from the front of the RV.

Cynthia got up and looked out the window. The parking lot was crawling with the people of Hawkins. They all looked pissed and were carrying weapons. Lots of weapons.

"Let's be fast," Steve said.

Everyone filed out of the RV leaving Cynthia and Eddie alone. They couldn't exactly go out in public. Eddie was wanted for murder, and Cynthia was believed to be a hostage. Cynthia got up and started to pace. She didn't like being left so exposed for things to wrong.

"What's on your mind, Smart-Ass?" Eddie asked her as he laid back against the RV wall.

"I just don't like we're left here all alone with no protection," Cynthia said as she paced. "So much could go wrong."

"Come here," Eddie held out his hand. Cynthia paused for a moment before taking his hand. Eddie pulled her into his lap and cupped her cheek with one hand. "We're going to be fine. They're going to be back in no time. Don't even think about all the angry hicks that want to drag me through the town and gut me."

"Is that suppose to make me feel better?" Cynthia asked with a raised eyebrow.

"A little bit," Eddie chuckled. His face went a little more serious. "But I do know that we're going to be fine right now." He smiled at Cynthia. "I've got you to protect me."

"Oh, so I'm your great protector now?" Cynthia asked as she brushed some of Eddie's hair out of his face. "What sparked that?"

"Well, I know you can knock a guy on his ass," Eddie said. "It was pretty awesome to see you rock Carver's shit. You're also the most loyal and brave person I know."

"I bet you say that to all the girls," Cynthia smiled at him.

"I'm serious," Eddie said. "You're awesome. You jumped straight into Lover's Lake to save Steve, you tried to switch places with Red, and you're going back into the Upside Down to take down Vecna. You're a goddamn hero."