CHAPTER X: "It may take time but things will get better"

Caroline was waiting patiently for Frederick's answer. She knew well, that those type of things didn't come easily, and it was usually tough to speak about such trauma.. A trauma of hurting someone you love, someone you want to protect, someone you care about. It was obvious, that we can't change the past, that made us, who we are right now, but.. In order to learn something from those dark times, you had to be very brave to accept your fault, and all the mistakes.. To see them, and provide something like that from happening, ever again. Of course, it wasn't anything easy to do, but if you really wanted to move on, and live a new life, without the demons of the past catching you again, you had to go through it.. You had to go through every last painful memory of yours, in order to achieve peace. Peace inside of your heart, that would be enough to provide yourself with a good sleep, and generally feeling better with yourself.. So, though Caroline could see, that Frederick was struggling with confessing the entire truth, she knew well, she had to patient. If she really wanted to help him, she had to go through his memories along with Frederick.. And, that's exactly what she was going to do:

- When I got angry that day, I couldn't control the werewolf inside of me. But, instead of just turning into a wolf, due to heightened emotions, I turned into a monster.. Claws grew out of my fingers, the veins became more visible than before.. I could see that. And, I could see, that I was going to lose control.. I could see the fear inside of her eyes. The fear, that was saying, if she could take all of it back, she would.. But, she couldn't. Besides.. I didn't care. I saw, that she was scared.. I could hear her heart beating faster, even though I'm not a vampire. Yet, I didn't lift a finger to stop myself from bursting with anger.. I didn't try to control myself from hurting her, because.. From one side I didn't know how, and from the other, I wanted to do so. I wanted her to feel the same way, that I did.. But, what I seemed to have forgotten was that.. Her sin was nothing like mine. That day, I have not only left her afraid, alone, and shocked.. I also left her with a scar on her neck from the left side – Frederick looked me in my eyes with visible hurt, and sadness inside of them.

- Frederick, I'm so.. So sorry – Caroline replied quietly, but loudly enough for Frederick to hear that.

- You shouldn't feel sorry for someone who's a monster, Caroline. I don't deserve your pity.. And, I'm sorry, but I can't.. I can't, and I won't forgive myself for what I've done. If I do, I will betray my love for her.. I can't. Thank you for trying to help me, but.. You've reminded me of a very important thing.. Monsters like me do not deserve a second chance. A chance to be happy, and free.. – Frederick started saying, and backing away from Caroline.

- You are not a monster, Frederick.. ! You were young, unable to control your inner wolf. No one can blame you for that.. – Caroline kept walking towards Frederick, as to not let him run off.

- Evangeline can. And, I bet she still does from the after life.. She died that day, Caroline. Evangeline died from the injuries I gave her.. Her death is what triggered my werewolf curse – Frederick said with hearable pain in her voice.

- She.. She died ? But.. You mentioned leaving her with a scar on her neck.. – Caroline asked, not entirely understanding the meaning of Frederick's words.

- She died. Her death activated my curse.. I left my family. Found a second one, that taught me everything I know now.. After some time, when I got older, more mature, I went to Evangeline's house to.. To give her parents flowers from me. To somehow redeem myself.. But, she was there, Caroline. Walking, talking, breathing.. – Frederick started explaining.

- How is that possible.. ? The werewolf curse is only triggered, when you kill a human – Caroline responded, both curious, and worried for the answer.