11. World, Here I Come!

Kang Mia

Kang Mia

Mia got to the dorm at twilight. The small wheels of her ruby suitcase jumped happily on the pavement. On top of it rested a sports bag full of dancing attire. Her strides were quick and full of excitement. The first day at school had been amazing. She loved every second of it. So many girls danced around her, complimenting her perfect nails and shiny hair. Mia smiled all the way to her new home, looking forward to meeting her roommate.

This is the life!

While entering the building, Mia chit-chatted with the doorman and asked for info about her room and the person who was already checked in. The wrinkled man kept her attention for a while and the beautiful, attentive girl was willing to spare it on him as they'd see each other often anyway. The man enthusiastically let her in on more details about her new roommate as he had it all checked in the system.

A smile doesn't cost much. Mia thought, fed by his eagerness to talk.

The building was a modern square complex with a gray plastered facade. The neighborhood was full of greenery and parks as this resort was built on the outskirts of the city. All in all, it came across as exceedingly shiny and new.

Nice, I can do yoga in that park, how exciting!

She had never lived in the dorms before and it had taken her more than a few days to persuade her loving parents into letting her leave the nest. Her youth and teenage years were spent comfortably in a town she had cherished, but her graduation year had ended on a sour note.

Mia felt she could use some time away to think things through, even at the cost of leaving her friends and the warmth of her home behind. Trading it for the unknown of the much bigger city and the ever-so-hyped and exaggerated university life would be good for her - she just knew it.

...

After arriving in the tiny two-bedroom flat, Mia stood for a while and soaked in the atmosphere. The joke of a hall opened into a wider corridor-type room with two doors to separate rooms on each side and a door with a pictogram of a water droplet leading to the bathroom. The rest of the space was a living room merged with a small kitchen corner. The kitchen counter with cabinets sat on the left side, and the back of the comfy black sofa faced Mia. It all seemed homey and fairly new.