25. Sadness Is Blue

Somin, Mia and Teho

Somin, Mia and Teho

Fortunately, the day went by quickly with no sign of Cholsu. I got lucky this week.

Somin tried to lift her spirits, but on the way to the dorm, sadness caught up with her again. Where there's sadness you can also find artistic intention. She stopped by the liquor store and bought honey whiskey.

That will do, I have to loosen up a bit. That's what he said.

Recalling Teho's hurtful words as she drank, her tears adding saltiness to the honey flavor.

Her mind kept circling back to Teho's attitude, then Cholsu's coldness. Before stepping into the flat, she had already downed four shots. Warmness from the booze spread throughout her body.

Will I cry every time I think of him? How boring. Boo hoo.

The alcohol pushed a different question to the forefront.

Was it even fair? Am I really that boring?

Even with all of her usual self-loathing she always thought about herself as a witty and daring girl. At least with people she was close to. Cholsu's words made her doubt everything and the end of their relationship made her more wary in choosing words, but their conversations hadn't always been so dry. Somin reminded herself of their first text exchange.

***

"Beep"

Cholsu: I'd like to schedule a painting session with you as we discussed before. What do you say about tomorrow?

Cholsu's text offered bluntly, stating his interest in the young girl plain and simple.

Somin: No.

The naive girl replied cheekily, imagining his face confused by her denial.

Somin: The day after tomorrow is better.

Somin's second text clarified a heartbeat later.

Nothing.

He's probably pissed, god damn. So she continued boldly.