73. Fighting Nature

Lee Somin

Lee Somin

Intense cold crept into her bones, waking her up abruptly.

What time is it? How long did I sleep?

Somin started to pack her things up thinking for a second.

How do I get back? I think I came out of there.

Her mind tried desperately to recall the directions to the hut. The heavy twilight mist was starting to settle down.

I don't feel optimistic about it. Somin packed in no time and gave the unclear path a try.

After 30 minutes of walking, the bad feeling came back in full force.

Is this the right way?

She listened carefully for some other students to talk, but there was nothing aside from a forest wind rustling the leaves around her.

I'm either too far or somewhere else completely.

Fuck.

The faint sound of bubbling water got her out of her mind.

Was I crossing the stream on the way here? How come I don't know? Yeah, I was busy dealing with the mental breakdown from last night. Shit. What should I do?

Her palms, carrying the folder, started to sweat and the lost girl started running around.

Mist you aren't helping me.

Her breath started to shorten as the anxiety was building back up in her.

Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!

This branch on the ground seems familiar or does it?

Now she was in full panic mode, running in random directions. Her shoe slipped on the mud as she was closing her distance to the stream unintentionally.

The sun set in the meantime.

"Aaa, help me!" Somin let out a scream as her body went to the ground and slid towards the pool of water which appeared out of nowhere. Small branches and pines mangled in her hair whilst mud got all over her pants and sweater. In the process of slowing down the fall, she managed to cut her left hand on the sharp creek stones. The other hand was protecting the folder till the bitter end.

"To hell with all of this!" she was yelling like a maniac at this point. Her shoes soaked the cold water quickly and she yelped as she began to shiver.

The muddy pool of water reached up to her belly. Her fingers were aching from firmly gripping the folder above the water level and freezing by the minute. Somin prayed the papers wouldn't get wet.

This was the last straw; she broke down. "Why me?" she cried out. Her nose was full and tears big as pearls fell down her face.

"I can't live like this! Help me, I'm done!"