12. Dinner For Two

Somin and Mia

Somin and Mia

The water stopped and the playlist ended. Out of the bathroom came a small girl with pink hair in a messy ponytail. Her body was wrapped in a baby blue towel, and her face gave up how surprised she was to see another human in the space.

Mia greeted Somin with dinner.

"Hi, I'm Mia!" waving at her, "I couldn't help but overhear," she gestured around. "With that music and all. So I decided to make dinner for both of us," her smile was full of kindness and it only made her look more beautiful.

"I haven't seen you at school. What major are you?" Mia asked friendly.

She must have been here all along, how embarrassing. Somin cringed.

Somin hungrily accepted a bowl filled with salad, still clothed only in a towel and without any energy or motivation to change.

Hmm, I'm a bland, boring girl... that's why you didn't notice me. Somin reveled in her misery.

...

She wallowed in the darkness, despite everything her therapist advised her to.

"Ms. Lee, don't fall into the trap of reveling in your misery. The only way out is to reprogram your mind and think positively. In the moments of intense, overwhelming sadness, please try to focus on something that brings you joy or at least a feeling of contentment," her old therapist, Dr. Jansen, had advised.

But she declined to behave, despite knowing the mindset she had was doing her more harm.

...

"Painting major. I hate to stand out, that's probably why you didn't see me," replied Somin as she stuffed her mouth full, trying not to sound bitter or sarcastic.

"Why wouldn't you want to stand out?" a baffled Mia looked back at her.

"One of many reasons could be that the boy who was the whole reason I came here broke up with me," emotion overwhelmed Somin again with tears not far behind.

"Oh, exciting first day," Mia felt deep empathy for the apparently heartbroken girl.

"I'm sorry to hear that. If you want to, I can go kick his ass!" she proclaimed.