14. Peace Of Mind I.

Kim Teho

Kim Teho

End of the last school year

Teho sat down and eyed the freshly cooked rice in a small, dark ceramic bowl. The freshly awake boy was hypnotized by the meal from behind his long black hair that lazily flowed down to his shoulders. A light green cotton shirt with a white elephant complemented his gray trousers which were decorated with more childish cartoony designs. All and all, it could very well have been the attire of a four-year-old.

The steam rose as he poked at the rice. Throwing stray hairs away from his eyes, he whined, unsatisfied with a scorching hot meal.

Wishing to start his second year of uni with a bang, the young artist had a tablet next to his breakfast and was checking inspiration galleries of his favorite photographers, searching for something different to spark his muse. The yearly assignments were almost done, but something felt off about them. There was still plenty of time to refine before the end of a year's exhibition and the mandatory public speech.

Teho spent most of his year in the streets. As a self-proclaimed city boy, he knew the center through and through. It had been the main source of his inspiration as portrait photography wasn't his cup of tea. He found silent satisfaction in the concrete structures hidden beneath the surface of the buzzing metropolis.

When you really go in and dig deeper you can always find new perspectives to see life through. He would argue in front of the exam committee.

Yet, Teho knew, this time he was missing something, the final touch.

...

Nearby, a gorgeous black-haired woman was busy preparing eggs and other small dishes to make her family the perfect Saturday breakfast. All the kids were at home this weekend – what a precious and rare occasion for everyone to enjoy. She hummed happily and danced around the spacious kitchen. The caramel shade of the wooden interior made their home seem more open and inviting and it turned out that light colors had a calming effect on the kids, associating it with freedom and safety.

Her long hair was tied in a lazy ponytail and a cotton headband prevented loose hair from going into her eyes or the meals for that matter. A simple dress was hidden behind a white apron. It was almost a shame having such a beauty "locked" up at home. Dark eyes covered with dense lashes had a spark even with so much work to be done. Another small heart was beating under hers as she moved around the kitchen.