125. Sorority Catch Up

Kang Mia

Kang Mia

A round city center with a park coffee shop in the middle was given a place to meet the girls who stayed behind without bigger ambitions at their hands. Sayuri and Nari were employed as dancing and fitness coaches in the small town.

"Whoa, congrats girls!" Mia hugged them wholeheartedly.

The crew hadn't hung out together for at least a year as Mia remembered. Graduation year made it harder for everyone and that thing with Ara made it impossible. Aside from that Eun got pregnant right away.

Nobody knew it, she kept it under wraps, even though that prom dress was sus though.

Mia scoffed, a bit taken by the fact the reunion wasn't complete, and with that sadness crept in again.

"Eun couldn't come, because of the baby, you know," Sayuri explained.

Her red hair fell prettily around her shoulders complementing her winter gray attire. The knitter sweater from the newest collection told Mia, her boyfriend was well off. Her long curly hair was neatly waved into a romantically loose tail.

Some things never change. Mia wondered for other people's comfort in staying always the same.

No improvement or change anywhere.

"I'll visit her some other time," Mia sweetly promised as they sat down at the wooden polished table after ordering their warm drinks at the counter.

"And..." Nari made an embarrassing pause visibly uncomfortable.

Her own look was more threatening, black and stylish. Dark hair put in a tight ponytail had a blue shimmer and stretched her forehead a bit. She exuded confidence even though it was a long time ago when she'd led the group on stage. But that sharpness stayed and materialized in a way she talked about Ara.

"...SHE, wouldn't even answer my invitation. And mind you, it hadn't stayed unread, she just purposely ignored it," Nari ended, shifting a few times on her chair, Sayuri gently patting her on the shoulder.

Mia wasn't surprised. I think she still hates me. I wonder what if we met?

Their group was inseparable until everything got fucked by Mia and Ara's quarrel. The whole vibe changed.

They used to dream about dancing competitively and having plans for the future in the field together. Girls' eyes sparkled with untamed flame and passion. Unlike now, when it seemed the rush of everyday stereotypes made them tired and settled for less.

In this sisterhood of laughter, they cried and trained viciously. Cutting through one competition after another always being unstoppable and then it all went to hell. Or maybe this was just life. Dreams and hopes of youth were crushed by cruel reality.

Is it inevitable? Do I kid myself with the school, prolonging the false hope it gives me, to be later brought down too?

It wasn't in Mia's nature to think negatively about life, but seeing her former best friends miserable hurt her deeply. It wasn't anything outright tragic, just here and there in the mid-sentence this adult tension.