135. Friendship Bracelet

Somin and Mia

Somin and Mia

Mia felt a strong impulse to go shopping after that bitter reunion. The urge to buy pretty things to cover unpleasant feelings of alienation was stronger than ever. And it grew with the fact her parents left her a gift card on the night table as an apology for their absence. She went overboard, spending like mad. Bringing the fantasy of movie shopping hauls to life, strutting with hands full of bags towards a jewelry shop. That was the moment she had seen the right gift. Overflowing with feelings of pride after the purchase, she patted herself on the back.

I have such a brilliant eye, there's no way Somin won't like it.

Mia gifted herself gold earrings to make herself happier, the more bags she carried the more fulfilled she felt.

The perfect gift I had always wanted to give.

...

When the beautiful dancer returned she already felt better. Set on a goal her friends vocalized.

I'll live the life they can't.

But Somin's greeting was ominously silent. She just lay sprawled on the sofa, listening to raindrops outside drumming on the window.

"Did something happen?" Mia asked.

Yeah, how would you feel if Teho and I started dating? I'd guess not so good. Fuck. Somin stressed, her heart racing.

I want that, I think I really do.

But should I? Shouldn't I rather focus on myself?

"I saw my brother after a long time and it threw me off, don't worry."

But Mia, being kind-hearted, worried anyway. She put her coat aside and poured the herbal tea from a teapot Somin had on a coffee table.

"Can I? It's cold outside," Mia asked.

"Sure, it's a sleeping mix," Somin answered.

"Great," Mia said, kneeling on the ground, and hugging the cup with both hands. Somin threw a pillow at her and the dancer put it underneath to get comfortable.

"I brought you something."

The gorgeous roommate handed Somin a small black box. The paper gave out the luxurious nature of the gift right away.

"Aww, you shouldn't have Mia, really." Somin felt deeply ashamed as she sat up.

Oh Mia, why? Why are you being so sweet?

"Hey, I thought we don't need a man to make each other's life better," Mia started, the sour breakup still stung her tongue. The feeling of being played with infuriated her.

"Yeah," Somin said as tears collected in the corners of her eyes.

"I wanted to be there for you to help you not feel so lonely. Every time you look at it, you'll know I'm always there for you"