23. You're Not Like Them

Jeon Junu

Jeon Junu

Junu was deeply embarrassed by the idea of arriving in front of all the students in a black limousine driven by a chauffeur. His parents were adamant that he had to be taken care of. There was no way they could let him use public transport or god forbid, walk. His mother had him make a uniform even though this school didn't have a uniform policy.

"You have to look the part. You are not like them," she reminded him.

Thanks mother, now they will all stare at me.

Look at that rich boy, who wants to be the center of attention.

In his desperation a plan crystalized; ordering clothes he liked over the internet and setting the address to the nearest delivery spot would surely solve his situation.

Let me be unknown, let me be anonymous, please. Junu begged the clothes in the virtual cart like some kind of internet deity.

He remembered the struggle of the first time ordering anything, when he had decided on his clothes. Mother had found out and wanted an explanation.

"Why are you buying new clothes? These are not suitable for you, they are atrocious," poison dripped out of her tongue as she held a printed receipt from his card in her hand, her nails sparkling with blue crystals against the white sheet of paper.

"For charity," the scared son clarified, covering his shock with an unbothered demeanor.

"We will have a donation day at school. For people in need, you know what that is, right?" His answer was deliberately bratty, showing his mother he wouldn't back off from the topic.

Junu had already falsified a charity email and hoped for the best.

"Can I see where you found this information? We are already patrons of charities your father picked. Why donate more?" his mother pressed.

"I do not want to be scrutinized as a freshman, mother. Have some empathy."

He presented his email to her and she let it slide, but now he knew for sure his pocket money wasn't meant for fun. She tracked every purchase he made and now he couldn't even maintain the deluded sense of privacy he had had for so long.