13. New Dawn

Somin and Mia

Somin and Mia

The sound of an alarm clock pierced the morning silence. Somin woke up abruptly, feeling much better—if feeling sorry for your whole being can be called feeling better.

Yep, it's an improvement.

The mirror didn't lie, both eyes were still a bit swollen and tears instantly filled them up again.

No, I'm not done, let's work harder.

Somin's fake positivity tried to undo the damage of the bitter victim-playing from the day before.

A morning shower brought much-needed peace and the scorching hot water sealed the misery in. Water drops caressed her irritated skin and mixed with her tears.

Is it relieving to know that it's over?

The questions still lingered.

I feel so abandoned.

Sadness made space for confusion which brought the immense feeling of betrayal to the forefront again. Too many emotions washed over her at once.

She drifted away in the warm stream and morning dizziness, reliving her troubled youth again.

***

"Why don't you say something Somin-ah?" a girl in ninth grade yelled as she pulled her hair.

"Are you hungry? Come and get it!" the other girl held her snack above their head.

These instances lead to Somin sitting alone in the corner or using the breaks to wander the school halls. Unfortunately, she wasn't the only part of the Lee family to attend her school. The presence of her older brother didn't help the shy girl at all. Lee Pomchun, her brother, was considered gorgeous, popular, and well-liked.

On the contrary, she was awkward-looking, unpopular, disliked. His presence brought her more into the unwanted spotlight. Other kids questioned why the siblings were so different. Of course, a plethora of mean jokes started to appear with that line of questioning.