32. Egon's Lady

Somin and Sion

Somin and Sion

Somin ended up leaving early from her Tuesday bookbinding course. In light of recent events, she hadn't the mental capacity to perceive the space she moved in. She made herself a herbal tea and just stood in the middle of the room finally letting it sink in.

The shared premises were small but cozy. The comfy armchairs were her favorite and she already filled up the two small shelves in the corners of the living area with the heaviest and priciest art books every serious artist should have. Every purchase had its own story that Somin held dear. They served mainly as a reminder and an inspiration.

Sorry Mia, I have too many of them.

History of Art by Pijoan—all ten volumes, Aristotle's Aesthetics next to them. Anatomy for Painters and many other smaller books focusing on her favorite personas finished the collection. Primarily abstractionists, surrealists, and other modernist painters which she loved to get inspired by. Between them were a few volumes of a more raunchy nature, mainly represented by the works of European expressionists and other contemporary artists. Somin learned to love the explicit nature of the bold drawings and wasn't ashamed to look at them anymore.

***

On a late spring afternoon, Somin headed out with Cholsu to the Egon Schiele's retrospective exhibition. After the exhausting study drawing in her sketchbook, Cholsu purchased her a catalog of said exhibition. It was one of the rare occasions he rewarded her hard work.

"Study," he said, handing the book to her, "Your work could use more bold expressionistic freedom," and there was the critique.

Somin skimmed through the heavy retrospective.

"But it's all in German," she looked questioningly at him.

"Well, Shiele was an Austrian painter," he answered, agitated again.

"But how would I understand the text?" she said.

"Put some work in and figure it out, you'll remember it better this way. Do you require everything to be served to you on a platter?" he coldly scolded her, "Are you that simple?"