138. Pink Nails

Somin and Teho

Somin and Teho

Somin eventually calmed down after dinner came. The diligent boy got the order and prepared the meals, handing her a bowl, while she blew on her freshly painted nails.

That's better. Somin felt a bit more satisfied with this simple caring gesture.

He sat on the ground opposite her, instead of his place where he had his workstation settled.

"You're really losing money," Somin said, a bit surprised he closed on her like that. He made a gesture and she threw him a pillow which he put under his butt.

"I can afford dinner break," he said in between the bites. "Nice color," he noted when Somin tried to eat while avoiding getting her polished nails destroyed in the process.

"You're into pink?" she mocked him.

"It's a nice color, I don't mind it. It reminds me of home." He eased the tension between them with a more personal subject.

Determined to try to voice his feelings when the opportunity of them being alone presented this nicely.

"Oh, your sister." Somin caught on and visibly relaxed with this more friendly talk.

"Kyuri, the youngest, used to paint my nails," he boasted, putting another portion into his mouth.

"Did she paint them pink though?" Somin asked in disbelief.

"I was just the customer. The service provided aesthetic choices, depending on the hospitality and mood of my specialist," he answered and Somin smiled.

"I never painted my brother's nails," the lonely girl thought out loud. "He started to paint them himself before I could buy a polish of my own."

"Do you want to paint mine?" Teho asked and she almost spat her food into a bowl.

"Do you want hot pink nails?" Somin asked seriously.

"I'll feel nostalgic even." He winked. "But you have to adhere to the very high standard of my previous provider. I haven't had my nails painted since forever..." the boy paused, recalling the traumatic reasons.

"Bad memories?" Somin tried to fish for more information.

"It's complicated," he finished, clearly half zoned out, reliving the feeling of pulsing paint on his forehead. The hotness of the bloodstream slid down his nose.

This request brought the tension a bit back, but Somin yearned for a more deep connection with a beautiful boy. His remark sounded almost sinister.

We're friends. It's a friendly business. She tried to persuade herself.

"You can paint them yourself," she offered.

"That's not really the same." He was visibly sadder.

"Please, I want you to do it. Maybe it'll help me cover some difficult memories," Teho confessed, touching his forehead even though the scar had already healed.