104. Peace Of Mind III.

Kim Teho

Kim Teho

End of the last school year

After a lazy nap, Teho got up and went out to check up on mum. Sun pleasantly warmed his body, still in his pajamas, spreading comfortable heat from his face to his chest.

I'm doing nothing.

He lied to himself, for the time being, having a pressing to-do list in the back of his head.

Mother started to make lunch, going back and forth between the garden and kitchen. One moment chilling on the garden bench catching her breath, another moment cutting vegetables in a kitchen corner.

...

Kyuri was still sprawled on the floor shouting into her mic. Making the funniest noises.

"Ugh" and "Ahm" sounded out, sometimes adding a sentence of frustration "Argh! Fuck, Sehun-ah what was that?"

Youth. Teho mouthed, feeling already old.

Gotta fish for the info about Sehun though. I don't like him already.

It brought him back to the time when he was fifteen.

***

Standing before a big decision, having to choose his future career, but being only a confused child, coping with the struggle of living without a father figure. Knowing some man was somewhat present in his life, faintly remembering how handsome he was. Meeting him once every few months was too little to make any kind of bond. The tall father figure felt like a stranger when he appeared in the living room. Making it feel like something was wrong, the atmosphere was tense, the kids didn't know how to behave.

Teho also witnessed some uncomfortable night arguments, getting up to pee in the middle of the night.

"Art school? Are you crazy Minji? What kind of education is this for my son? I forbid it!" the man's voice was low, but menacing enough. The young boy stood behind the doors, hidden in shadow, and listened, fearing for his mum's safety, breathing mildly.

"Love, he really excels in art. Do you even know what he likes?" her pleading sentence was cut by a harsh comment.

"Not in my household," his voice sounded distorted by too many alcohol shots. He came to see his house and family obedient and ideal as a picture he had in his office, the prototype of perfection, that's what they needed to represent.

I'll study art even if he had to kill me.

Young boys' minds hardened with spite, seeing mother cry and the man leaving. The young boy ran for a bathroom, his heart beating rapidly.

...

The next morning the man was on his way again. Pieces of Luggage were sorted in the hall near the entrance door. Teho happily danced in the kitchen, kissing the younger sister lovingly, laughing as always. Forcing the good mood on himself. That was his role, what he aimed to be. Easy person, whom everybody loved, despite gender or age.