𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟓 : 𝔻𝔸𝕋𝔼𝕂𝕆

“ 𝑻𝒉𝒂𝒕'𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒂 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒓 ! 𝑻𝒉𝒂𝒕'𝒔 𝑨𝒐𝒏𝒆 !”

.

𝟏

Where am I ?

The tall, slender boy thought as he stood in a white environment. A small rythmic beat echoed in the absolute silence. It took him a while to realise it was coming from within him.

Placing his hand on his chest he perceived it clearly under his fingers and strangely it felt like this was the first time that he was paying so much attention to his own heartbeat.

His gaze travelled up.

Footsteps echoed from within the cold mist.

Vividly, he could make out the features of the interior of a stadium. The cheering of the crowd painted his ears. The light thuds of volleyballs hitting the floor churned his insides. A sweet smell made his head heavy. Yet, his body felt light as if he was floating. He couldn't describe the feeling....it was pleasant yet something unpleasantry lurked in its shadows.

“ We're fed up with you.”

His breath hitched. The cheering in the background died and the atmosphere surrounding them went still. Through his blurry vision with sweat trickling down his eyes he  saw the receding backs of his teammates. He raised his hand but it hung midair when the words got stuck in his throat. He could only watch.

“ Kageyama. Go sit on the bench.”

That's the only thing he didn't want to hear at the moment. Clutching his jersey, he somehow moved his weighed down feet towards the benches. His gaze remained on the ground. The cheers slowly faded away as he took a seat.

Anger ? Resentment ? He didn't feel any of that. Just the frustration of not being able to stand on the court.
Maybe with a tinge of jealousy. But that didn't matter now, did it ?

He was afraid to look up. Afraid to see their disappointed faces. But the boy couldn't help himself. Taking a deep breath, his head moved to face the front and a look of surprise caught his eyes.

There was no one.

He was back in that suffocating white space again. Only this time it was not suffocating anymore.

He released the breath he had been holding till now. His head felt light again and he leaned back on the bench. On having a closer look, we can see him not in his jersey anymore but in casual clothes. He stared in front of him in a daze.

The mist gradually grew light. The light finally penetrated through the slightly dark environment and features of trees and the earth entered his view.