09

"Roop beta, keep that phone down." Mehul teased his daughter-in-law as everyone sat at the dining table, having dinner but all her attention was on her phone, expecting a text or a call.

She hurriedly kept her phone down, locking it as she flushed red in embarrassment, the rice on her plate looking a little too interesting to her at that moment.

Mihir, who sat just beside her secretly sent a text to her to see her reaction and he got what he exactly wanted, her head snapped towards her phone the second it beeped making everyone laugh.

"I'll eat in my room." Roop blabbered out before quickly leaving from there with her plate.

"Arey bhabi, phone to lete jaao!" Mihir yelled after her, waving her phone in the air. (Atleast take your phone with you!)

She didn't turn, running to her room was the only thing running through her mind instead of the reason she was leaving, Mihir although was having the best time of his life when he saw her phone ringing.

"Kitni bekaar timing a bhai ki." He laughed, waving her phone infront of everyone to see. (What a bad timing brother has)

"Put it on speaker!" Avni ordered from the opposite side of the dining table, almost spilling the rice on her plate in excitement.

"Answer to karne do." Mihir rolled his eyes. (Let me answer the phone first)

Answering the call, Mihir put it on speaker, his excitement levels as high as the mountains at the moment because not just him, everyone was curious as to how he would greet his wife as all they ever got a direct order or some disapproving grunts here and there in the mere three seconds call Amrit had with them sometimes.

"Roop." He breathed out, "Did you eat?" Was his first question, making Mihir frown.

"You never talk to me like that!" Mihir accused loudly, making Avni face-palm herself.

"Mihir?" The soft voice Amrit was talking in immediately changed, "Where's Roop?" He asked.

"You're so mean to me for no reason!" Mihir was accused instead of answering his question, shaking his head at his brother's double standards.

"Where's Roop?" He asked again.

"In her room, we're having dinner..she left her phone here." Mihir informed him.

"Did something happen? Why is she in the room? Did someone say anything to her? I swear to God if it's bua-" It didn't take Amrit a second to bombard Mihir with questions, unaware of the fact that the phone was on speaker.

Mihir started coughing loudly to cover him up, turning the speaker off as he put the phone to his ear, "She's okay, everyone was just teasing her cause she was waiting for a call y'know." He told him playfully. Getting up from the chair as he was finished with his dinner, he started walking upstairs, "I'll give her the phone." He added.

Reaching their room, he knocked on the door. "Bhabi?" He called when no one answered.

"Go away."

"Suna aapne?" Mihir asked Amrit, who was still on the call. (Did you hear?)

"Slide the phone beneath the door and leave." He ordered from the other side.

"There's not enough space, why did you even want a soundproof room?" Mihir asked, not being able to slide the phone in.

"To avoid your annoying voices." Came the immediate reply.

"I would never have agreed to the marriage if I was bhabi." Mihir frowned, hanging up on his rude brother. Amrit had always been a very straightforward person, it wasn't new to Mihir but right now he was taking advantage of his lack of presence, hence hanging up the call before he could speak.

"I'm leaving your phone outside." Mihir yelled before keeping the phone on the rug and standing beside the door instead of leaving.

It was two minutes later when the door creaked open and Roop's hand came out to pick up her phone but Mihir grabbed her hand, making her jump away with a yell.

"Bereham." She frowned at him, taking her phone from the rug and closing the door in his face but two seconds later the door opened again, with her empty plates in her hand this time, "Take these with you." She handed him the plates before closing the door this time. (merciless)

Looking at the last call, she contemplated on whether to call him or not, she didn't want to come off as desperate but at the same time, she didn't want to come off as ignorant either.

Two days, it had been only two days and they talked more than they talked in three months.

Roop now knew what he liked and what he didn't, she already made a mental note to make all his favorite things one by one when he comes back.

Setting an alarm to ring after exactly eight minutes, she kept the phone aside, waiting for some time to pass as she prepared for bed. She even changed into her night clothes but still, there were two minutes left.

A frown made its way to her face as she noticed the time was passing slower than usual or was it just her impatience?

A minute before the alarm could ring, she turned it off and dialled his number. It rang for a while before it was answered.

"Hello?" An unfamiliar voice answered, it definitely wasn't Amrit judging by the feminine pitch.

"Um..hii?" Roop's voice came out very low, and all of a sudden she lost all her confidence along with her excitement. Without waiting for another second, she ended the call, throwing her phone away on the bed.

Her saddest fear came creeping in, her fear of being abandoned, once again.

...