13

Roop's eyes followed Amrit's movements as he picked up his suitcase and kept it on the bed, throwing it open. Her mouth dropped open as she saw him throwing his clothes out one by one.

After finding what he was looking for, he draped a shawl around Roop, stepping back to see how it looked on her.

"Do you like it?" He asked, feeling nervous for the first time in his life, it was an impulsive decision to buy something for Roop, what he didn't think about was if she would like it or not.

"You got this for me?" She asked, standing up and rushing infront of the mirror to see how she looked, doing a little twirl, she wrapped the shawl around herself more securely.

Seeing the little smile on her lips, he couldn't help but smile too, he didn't know how contagious his wife's smile was until now, why did he even ignore her for months?

"I love it! Thank you so much!" Without giving it much thought, she wrapped her arms around his neck, making the shawl wrap around him too.

For someone who always recieved hand-me-downs, the little gift meant so much to her, she knew she would be treasuring it forever. Realizing what she did in excitement, she tried to unwrap her arms from around him when he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Are you allergic to my touch?" He asked, letting his body fall on the bed with her falling on top of him.

Roop tried to quickly get away from him but he just made themselves lie down comfortably, getting tired of her unsuccessful attempts to get away, she rested her head on his chest.

"You should've smacked me in the head and put some sense into me all those months that I was lacking." He joked, pushing back some hair from her face.

"I knew you didn't want this." She replied, remembering how she overheard his conversation with his dad.

"I thought you would be like your parents, greedy...cunning and hungry for power, why else would anyone accept a marriage like that?" He asked no one in particular, his fingers playing with her hair.

"I never had a choice." She whispered, listening to his heartbeat.

"I was so blinded with my hatred...that I couldn't see the difference between you and them." He sighed, "It took me some time to trust you...to see you from a different point of view, I used to leave things behind.. important documents, blueprints of new projects, credit cards, or anything I could use to prove myself right, I wasn't...I was so wrong about you." He finished, another sigh leaving his lips.

Noticing they were still in the uncomfortable clothes, he tapped on her shoulder, gesturing her to get up.

"Change before sleeping." He murmured, seeing her questioning gaze at him.

Getting up from the bed, Roop collected the shawl that somehow ended up on the bed, sprawled all over. Folding it nicely, she kept it safe in the closet before taking her clothes out.

Her eyes went to the mirror, seeing Amrit's reflection in it as he removed his clothes one by one as if she wasn't present there.

"I..I'll go out." A quick whisper came out as she made her way to the exit, Amrit's hand gripping her wrist one more time.

"Stay, I'm going to take a shower anyways." He drawled out lazily, walking out of the closet.

A frown made its way on her face, yahan kyun kapde nikal rahe the phir?
(Why was he undressing here then?)

Deciding to let it go, she quickly changed into much more comfortable clothes than the saree and smuggled into the blanket, replaying everything that happened today in her mind, sleep consuming her midway through.