10

Laying down on the bed, she looked at the ceiling, wondering why a woman would answer his phone at that time, a lot of different scenarios running through her head.

Amongst all those thoughts, fear of something happening to him hit her like a meteor as she rushed to grab her phone which was ringing for the past five minutes. She scolded herself for acting like a child before finally answering the call.

"Roop? Finally.." She heard Amrit sigh in relief, "Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm sorry..I..uh.." She pulled the phone away from her ear, sniffing and clearing her throat to not sound like she was crying, "Yeah, what were you saying?" She asked, her voice less quavery than before.

"You cried. What happened, can you please tell me?" He asked, his voice very gentle as he spoke, in very less time he came to know how much Roop hated when people talked to her rudely, her visible quivering being one of the main pieces of evidence.

"Nothing, I'm sorry for not answering your call." She apologized, not wanting to tell him the reason, he knows it.

"You remember I told you why I'm here?" He asked.

"For the land." She answered, playing with the lamp's button, turning it on and off again and again.

"Yes, my assistant just came to tell me that the landlord called a while ago, confirming to sign the contract." He told her, and she hummed in acknowledgment, waiting for him to complete, "I was talking to him when you called, I was in a different room, and it was my assistant who answered the call without my knowledge." He explained calmly, his voice never going from soft to anything else.

Roop nodded in reply, forgetting he couldn't see her, "Okay."

"It's just you and me, hmm? No third person, I would never do that to you, now go and wash your pretty face and go to sleep, I'll talk to you in the morning." He spoke, her cheeks flushing with his words.

"Goodnight." She replied, hanging up the call because he never did, always waiting for her to end the call in all the times they talked.

As he said, she washed her face before going to sleep, a content smile on her lips.

Things were finally getting on track, maybe it won't be as bad as she was assuming it to be, but her hopes that died were taking birth again. Hope for a happy life, a life she never had in her twenty-four years of life.

...

"Roop, take this to ma-papa's room," Priya said, handing a tray with tea cups to her.

"Ji tayi ji." She nodded, taking the tray from her and taking it to dada-dadi's room. She saw the whole family there except for the youngsters.

Priya came behind her with another tray, "Thank you beta." She smiled, patting her head, "Come, join us." She said.

"No, it's okay." Roop shook her head and left but not before acknowledging everyone present in the room.

She liked seeing the family members having some time together every few days, her family was a small one with just four members, it never felt like a family with the way they behaved but she realized what a real family is.

Even though Nandini had an unknown vendetta against her but she was good with the other family members, atleast she didn't treat them like she treated her.

Every time Roop thought about what wrong she did to her, she came up with nothing every single time.

Shrugging her thoughts off, she went to the kitchen to make french toast for herself as she was craving it only to find Saanvi present there.

"Hi." Roop smiled, picking up a couple of eggs to start, Saanvi ignored her greeting as she continued to stir quinoa in what looked like a little too much water, "Um...I think you added too much water, let me help." She offered, making Saanvi turn to her.

"I think I know what I am doing, can you not?" Saanvi spoke, annoyance clear on her face.

Roop didn't say anything to her after that and went back to cooking her toast, not focusing on anything Saanvi was doing.

Serving herself, she took a seat on the dining table, sitting on Amrit's seat just because it was amusing to her before another idea struck her mind, she took out her phone and sent him a picture of her plate.

His reply came almost immediately, a picture of his breakfast was what he sent. She shook her head, her breakfast was better than his crusty toast and coffee anyways.

She continued eating her toast when Rahil joined her, "Morning bhabi." He greeted, pouring himself a glass of juice.

"Good morning, where's Avni?" She asked.

"She's sleeping." He told her.

"Oooh, is she okay? She never sleeps this late." Roop frowned, concern shadowing her features.

Rahil scratched his neck, clearing his throat awkwardly, well, he was the reason she was tired and sleeping till late but he couldn't tell her that, can he?

"Yeah, she was helping me with my uh.. presentation yesterday, yeah, presentation..so.." He trailed off, looking for Nita aunty to ask for breakfast.

"I made some extra, do you want it?" She asked when she noticed that, showing him her plate of French toast.

"Are you sure?" He asked.

"Yeah, it's in the casserole, I'll get it for you." She said, getting up.

"No it's fine, I'll get it." Rahil interrupted, rushing to the kitchen before she could get up.

Shrugging off his weird behavior, she finished her breakfast before heading back to her room. She cleaned up a little bit before indulging herself in work.

It wasn't until a knock on her door that she realized how many hours have passed since she started, closing the laptop, she rubbed her eyes before answering the door.

"Mummy ji." Roop nodded, opening the door a little wider.

Ritika entered the room, looking around as she rarely visited the room, always forgetting how it looked from the inside.

"This boy and his obsession with organisation." She shook her head, looking at how everything was organized just like it always has been.

"Baithein na." She gestured to the sofa. (have a seat)

"No no, it's fine, I'm in a hurry actually...me and your papaji have to visit Amrit's mama ji, they fixed his daughter's wedding." She told her excitedly, "I'm so happy! We'll attend a wedding soon!" She added.

"Simmi Didi's wedding?" Roop asked, not sure who exactly she was talking about.

"Haan and Chandigarh is not that far away so we were thinking about visiting there for a few days..so..will you manage?" She asked, hesitating a little.

"Don't worry, I'll be okay." Roop assured her, smiling at her, "Aap araam se ghoom kr aao."
(you take a relaxing vacation)

"Sure?"

"Sure."

"Thank you!" Ritika hugged her daughter-in-law tightly before rushing back to her room, to probably start packing.

...
Sooooo...what are you expecting next?
Some drama orrrrr..some romance?

Anyways, what are your thoughts about Amrit and Roop till now?