25

"Neeche utarein mujhe." Roop whisper-yelled in Amrit's ear.
(Put me down)

"Shh."

"Peeche wale raste se chalein phir!" She cried, feeling helpless as Amrit carried her inside the house, from the front door instead of using the back door like she suggested.
(Let's go from the back door then)

While they were back at the penthouse, Roop twisted her leg when she was going to change, Amrit's t-shirt lying on the floor being the reason for the awful fall, causing a sprain in her foot.

"I can walk!" She tried one last time, covering herself with her dupatta since she was still wearing his t-shirt and shorts, thanks to him for not giving her time to change back into her suit.

"We both know you can't." He replied.

"You should've let me change!" She scolded him.

"The doctor said you've to rest as much as you could." He responded dryly.

Amrit was very attentive when the doctor was telling her about the sprain, since they were in the office building only, the doctor wasn't that far away even though Roop insisted that it was nothing an icepack couldn't heal. 

"Mujhe na sharam ke wajah se doob ke marne ka mann kar raha hai." She hid her face in his chest.
(I am thinking of drowning because of shame.)

"Let's drown together!" Amrit replied, faking excitement.

"Kya haiii!" She hit his chest lightly, trying to stop herself from crying, firstly her foot was paining and secondly, she was feeling embarrassed while being dressed in Amrit's clothes and to top it all, Amrit was carrying her in his arms.
(What is it with you?)

"Everyone's probably in their rooms." He tried to convince her but she knew better.

"Am I heavy?" She asked for the hundredth time in a span of a few hours.

"No."

"But-"

"Chup." He grumbled, kicking the door open as he walked inside, expecting everyone to be busy in their rooms but he should've known that they decided to have family time together.
(silence)

A whistle was heard, "Kya baat hai? Shadi ki rasme yaad aa rahi hai aapko?" Mihir commented, his phone coming out to record everything.
(What is the matter? Are you missing your wedding rituals?)

"Mihir." He was scolded by his mother.

Roop wanted nothing but the earth to open up and swallow her whole because this was exactly what she was fearing.

Amrit being a very sensible person, he took her near the sofa where every single person in the family was sitting and made her sit there, taking a seat beside her.

"She has a sprain." He informed the curious faces, pulling her legs up on his lap, "Get me an icepack." He looked at Mihir.

"Dupatta bhi kyun hi liya?" Nandini scoffed.
(why did you even take a scarf?)

"Excuse me?" Amrit turned to her.

"Is this the way you dress in front of your elders? Sharam hai ya nahi?" She rolled her eyes, looking at Roop disgustingly.
(Do you have any shame?)

"Meri biwi kuch bhi pehne, aapko kya?" He asked, challenging her to say something again.
(Whatever my wife wears, what does it have to do with you?)

"Nandini." Mehul looked at his sister, a warning clear in his voice. Mumbling something under her breath, she looked away.

"Here." Mihir handed him the icepack, "Are you okay?" He asked Roop, who looked like she wanted to cry at the moment but she nodded anyway.