29

Waking up on the floor the next day, Roop looked around, recalling last night. She clutched her head, the headache making her feel worse than she already was.

A groan left her lips as she got up, seeing her phone lying on the bed. A part of her hoped to find a message from him but there was none.

Leaving it even though the battery was about to die, she entered the bathroom, discarding her clothes as she stepped under the ice-cold water, trying to get rid of the headache.

She didn't know how long she spent under the water but she came to a conclusion, maybe those words weren't for her, he might be talking about someone else, probably bua ji.

Deciding not to take decisions without listening to both sides of the story, she got ready. Her eyes falling on the broken mangalsutra on the floor, she picked it up and threw it on the vanity table carelessly.

It was just a reminder of the so-called marriage of convenience.

She didn't get ready like she did every day, the beautiful colored clothes were replaced with an old and dull dress. Applying some moisturizer and a lip balm, she went downstairs.

"Roop, are you okay?" Avni asked as she saw Roop coming downstairs.

"Yeah, just a headache." She replied, ignoring the suspicious look Avni was giving her, she was looking at her as if looking for something.

"You didn't..you didn't apply sindoor today?" She asked.

I'm practicing for the future, she wanted to reply but she chose something else instead, "I must've forgotten." She replied, touching her forehead.

"No seriously, are you okay? You've been sleeping alot, it's afternoon and last night too..." She trailed off, a concerned look on her face.

"Yeah, totally fine...do you want some tea? I'm going to make some." Roop asked, dodging the topic.

"I just had lunch and ask Nita aunty, Bhai asked you not to step in the kitchen!" Avni frowned.

"It's just tea and he's not here." She replied, walking to the kitchen.

She spent the whole day doing different chores to keep herself distracted, Bua ji seemed to be keeping to herself which just confirmed her suspicions that Amrit was talking about her.

But the nagging feeling was eating her up, she was just repayment of a loan for him and the worst part was that he never bothered to clear things up between them when they were working on their relationship.

"Roop, take some rest beta." Ritika looked at her with a concerned frown.

"It's okay mummyji, It's been so many days...I want to cook." Roop smiled, taking out the things she needed to prepare dinner.

"Let someone help you atleast." She pressed.

"It's okay, aap araam karein, jyada der nahi lagegi." She assured her.
(It's okay, you take some rest, it won't take much time anyway)

"Roop.."

"Please?"

With a sigh, Ritika left the kitchen, letting her do whatever she wanted to. Her gloomy behavior didn't go unnoticed by anyone but every time someone asked her about it, she just smiled, telling them she was fine.

She was stirring the pot when she felt her wrist being grabbed, her wrists getting bruised with the bangles rubbing against her skin harshly.

"Amrit! Leave her!" Ritika shouted as she saw him dragging her while Roop struggled against his grip.