28

"Is he okay?" Was the first question Ritika asked as she saw Roop walking in, she just nodded in response, walking to her room.

Throwing the parcel on the table, she lied down on the bed, remembering the happy times when Ruaan was alive, the way he always shared half of his chocolate with her, or the way her parents looked at her with nothing but love.

Her chain of thoughts broke when her phone rang, the screen displayed an incoming call from Amrit, clearing her throat, she answered the call.

"Hii.."

"I hope you're not missing me too much." He teased.

"I'm not." She replied, smiling for the first time since she came back.

It's funny, isn't it? How one person's voice is just enough to bring a smile to your face while another's is a reason for your misery.

"I just reached." He told her.

"Eat something before you start working." She ordered, "and I'm not the one who's missing you, you're missing me." She replied.

"Is that so?"

"Umhmm, that's why you've called me." She added.

"I don't see anything wrong in missing my wife." He replied, "Now take some rest and please, for the love of God, ignore Bua ji and her guests!" He requested from the other side.

"Okay." She mumbled as he ended the call.

Feeling calmer than before, Roop went to sleep for a few hours, avoiding her problems with sleep again. She slept for hours, feeling sleepy again after waking up but her eyes fell on the envelope.

Stifling a yawn, she got up and picked up the envelope, looking at it, wondering what must be inside. Her first thought was that it might be a script for proofreading.

Excitement filled her veins as she tore it open, her smile fading away as she read the words. That must be a joke.

A laugh escaped her lips as she threw the papers away, probably her dad playing tricks with her. There was no way Amrit would want to divorce her, She shook her head.

It was too soon, too soon for things to change, their relationship was getting better, they were coming close, she didn't know about him but she was falling in love with him.

Keeping the papers in a drawer, she went to freshen up, shaking off the negative thoughts, Amrit liked her...he told her himself.

She decided not to overthink the situation this time, she waited for an explanation, for him to ask her himself to free them from the relationship. With a firm mind, she left the room, putting on a smile as she greeted everyone.

"Uth gaye aap?" Mihir asked, faking a shocked expression as he looked at her walking towards the dining table.
(You're awake?)

"I slept..and kinda lost track of time?" She replied, her cheeks turning red.

"I came to wake you up five times!" He informed her, "and then I realized that your room is soundproof to jyada awaaz gayi nahi hogi." He added.
(..not much sound would have gone inside)

"I'm so sorry-"

"It's okay, stop making her feel guilty for sleeping!" Tayi ji said, patting Roop's head lovingly. "Aaj maine khana banaya hai!" She told her.
(I cooked dinner today)

"Really?" Her eyes lit up as she quickly served herself, taking a picture to tease Amrit about the delicious food she was eating.

Mihir who was peeking into her phone asked, "kisko bheja?"
(Who did you send it to?)

"Your brother, see what he sent me." She replied, showing him the picture of a full-course meal Amrit sent her.

"Merko wo dil ke alava kuch nahi dikha raha." He replied, focusing on the hearts more than the picture.
(I can't see anything but the hearts)

"I hate you." She murmured, locking the phone and keeping it aside while ignoring the teasing gazes on her.

"I know you don't." He replied, digging in.

.

"Roop, beta ye apne papa ko de aao." Roop looked at her mother-in-law as she handed her a cup of coffee.
(Roop, give this to your dad)

"Aap mujhe keh dete, mai bana deti." Roop replied, shaking her head.
(You should've told me, I would have made it)

"It's nothing big, he's in the office." She informed her, taking out a few lemons to make lemonade for Roop.

A wide smile covered her face as she watched Ritika taking the lemons out, quickly turning towards the home office, Roop took the coffee to him.

She was about to knock on the door when she heard her name, followed by a very familiar voice coming from the other end.

"...par Roop-"

"I don't care, aap chaahe kuch bhi kahein..na maine aajtak uss rishte ko mana hai na hi kabhi maanunga, bohot compromise kar lia par ab nahi, wo jiye ya mare...mujhe ratti bhar bhi fark nahi padta." With that, a beep was heard, indicating that the call ended.

(I don't care, no matter what you say..neither did I ever accept that relationship nor will I ever accept it in the future, I have compromised a lot but not now, whether she lives or dies...I don't give a damn!)

Unknown to both of them, someone heard their conversation..a conversation she shouldn't have.

The prank she thought her father was playing on her didn't feel like a prank anymore, it felt too real. Maybe she imagined everything, maybe he was just being nice.

Her hand shivered, making her realize about the steaming hot coffee, composing herself she knocked on the door after counting till ten.

"Come in." She heard Mehul's voice.

"Are you okay?" Roop asked as she saw him sitting while holding his head.

"Yeah..yeah, I'm okay." He looked at her, trying to get a hint if she heard the conversation or not but her face gave away nothing as a small smile was plastered on her lips.

"Here, your coffee. Good night papaji" She kept the mug on the table before leaving, she needed to calm down, to not jump to conclusions but his words kept ringing in her mind.

Breathe, breathe. She chanted over and over again as she closed the door to her room.

It had been three days since he left, three days since he was talking to her as if nothing happened, his behavior didn't change, and he still talked to her like he did before leaving then why? Why did he say all those things at her mention?

Standing infront of the mirror, she looked at her reflection, running her fingers through her face, examining what was it that made him hate her so much.

Was it her chubby face? Or maybe the little belly she had? Or her average features?

Why did all good things have to come to an end, she wondered, her hand gripping the mangalsutra in her neck, that started feeling too tight, suffocating her.

Pulling it harshly, she watched the black beads scatter on the floor as it pulled apart. She messed up the reddish colour lipstick in an attempt to wipe it off.

The reflection of a happy bride seemed to be bothering her as she tried to get rid of the things that symbolised her being a married woman but after everything, she didn't have the heart to remove the chooda.

She needed to stop looking like a newly wedded bride, it was all ending, ending before it could start.

A panic attack rose within but she didn't have anyone to help her leading her to pass out on the floor.

...
Since y'all asked for an early update, here it is!
Don't forget to vote!
Also...I think it's time for Amrit to come back..don't you think?