22

"All this for me?" Amrit whispered, looking at the different variety of food on the table.

"Yes, mummy ji made this kheer for you and Avni made fruit custard for you and Mihir helped me peel potatoes for your aaloo paratha and-"

"And I squeezed fresh orange juice for you." His father declared, keeping a jug full of juice infront of Amrit with a proud look on his face.

"Wow, Mehul ji, thak to nahi gaye?" Ritika asked her husband sarcastically, knowing full well that he just poured all the juice Nita aunty (their maid) made earlier.
(aren't you tired?)

"Boht, kandha daba do." Mehul leaned towards her.
(Very, give me a shoulder massage?)

"Hatt besharam." Dadi shook her head disapprovingly, grumbling about how his son has turned 30 years old but he's behaving like that with his wife infront of him.
(Shameless!)

"Mai besharam tha tabhi aapka pota aaj 30 saal ka hua!" Mehul replied, leaning back at a safe distance to not get smacked infront of all the children.
(I was shameless, that's why your grandson is 30 today!)

"Mehul!" His wife gasped, hitting his arm.

"What? Usko dekho kaise thoos raha hai, iski umar me mera 10 saal ka beta tha." Mehul shook his head dramatically, looking at his son.
(What? Look at him stuffing his mouth, when I was his age, I had a ten year old son!)

"Why is that being discussed right now?" Amrit asked incredulously.

"Because you should learn from your parents, we gave our parents the happiness of being grandparents at an early age-"

"Just say that you were horny." Rishi rolled his eyes, making Ritika choke on her juice.

"Dad!" Rahil looked at his father in surprise.

"What? You never thought why Amrit's the eldest? These guys were in college." Rishi shook his head, looking at the couple.

"Okay end the topic now!" Ritika almost yelled, her neck red with embarrassment at the shameless discussion the supposed elders of the house were having.

Breakfast surely wasn't boring today...

"Sunein." Roop said after everyone left.
(Listen)

"Sunayein." Amrit turned to Roop, feeding her the last bite of his paratha that he had in his hand.
(tell me)

She signed to him to wait for a minute as she chewed quickly, "I invited Rahil bhai and Avni and Mihir to come with us!" She told him happily, "We're going to gurudwara, Do I look okay?" She asked, quickly getting up from her chair, and giving him a show of her dress.

She wore a sage green suit today with a matching punjabi jutti, "You're pretty." He said, noticing the blush on her face that was present from last night.

"Pakka?"
(Sure?)

"Umhmm, go tell them we're ready." He said, taking their empty plates in the kitchen before heading off to his room to get the car keys and Roop's phone. He also took a water bottle for her.

"They're coming." Roop informed, seeing him standing near the front door.

"Come here." Amrit took her hand in his, pulling her infront of him, "I was waiting for you in the room but someone wasn't there." He said, narrowing his eyes.

"Koi aajayega." She tried looking behind him but he was blocking her view.
(Someone will come)

"Aane do."
(Let them come)