30

He didn't say anything for a while, just looking at her, in reality, he was examining her, to just believe the words she was saying.

"If someone came up to you and told you that I'm cheating on you, would you believe them?" He asked, pulling her back where she was, closer to him, "Answer me." He asked when she didn't reply.

"Do you trust me?" She asked instead of answering, before Amrit could say something, she continued, "Then why did you believe a fucking outsider over me?"

He didn't have the answer to her question, a hundred different questions ran through his mind, what happened in four days that things changed so abruptly?

"Listen to me-"

"No, I won't, I need answers, why did you-"

"I did not send the divorce papers!" He raised his voice, grabbing her elbows as he pulled her closer. "I didn't!"

"You're lying, you're lying." She shook her head, struggling to get out of his grip.

"Stop it!" He said but she didn't, she was desperate to get away from him but her attempts were futile, the light punches she threw didn't help her either.

Her struggle soon turned into sobs, Amrit sighed, caressing her hair as he kept her close to him, "I'm sorry, so sorry." He whispered, his one hand moving on her back in a comforting manner.

"I'm tired..tired of everything, sabko meri khushiyon se dikkat hai, sabko...Aisa kya bigaad dia Maine kisi ka?" She couldn't help but ask the question that was bothering her for so long.
(Everyone has a problem with my happiness, everyone...What wrong have I done to anyone?)

"Shh, I swear I won't leave them." He made her sit on the bed, opening the drawer to pick out a soothing gel and a matchbox.

He first picked up the divorce papers Roop threw at him a while ago, lighting them up, making a promise to himself to destroy everyone involved in the planning and plotting just like they tried to destroy his marriage, the only difference will be that he would succeed.

Taking her hand, the one he held tightly, he kept it on his lap, pushing back the bangles as he applied the gel on the scratched skin.

"I'm sorry." He kept repeating.

"I didn't want to sign them, I...I wanted to believe someone was playing a joke on me..on us but then I realized meri kismat itni achi nahi hai, har achi cheez mujhse chin jaati hai..."
(...I'm not that lucky, every good thing somehow ends up getting snatched from me.)

He didn't say anything but kept her close, providing her the much-needed comfort she was seeking from everyone but not getting it.

"I got this a while ago.." He started, touching her mangalsutra, "To give it to you on our 6 month anniversary, I chickened out in the end...I wanted it to mean something to us, our relationship, I made you wear the old one with a promise to take it away one day, I made you wear this with a promise to keep you with me forever, give you everything you deserve." He promised.

Her face was turning red from continuous crying, wiping her nose with his handkerchief, he continued, "If I knew someone will pull this shit with us, I wouldn't have left."

"What if you get tired again? This time because of me? What if you regret everything one day?" She looked at him.

"Then hope that day never comes because I would prefer dying than letting that feeling come to my mind." Came his instant reply, "I wanted to hate you the moment that girl entered my office, telling me about you meeting the divorce lawyers, giving me the papers...I knew something was wrong but anger got the best of me and you know what Roop? As much as I tried, I couldn't hate you at that moment too!"

Her head snapped up at the mention of her, "Who was it?"

"That girl, that vile women's friend's daughter." He replied.

The tears that started to stop came back again, "What is wrong with her? I'm tired Amrit, na wo mujhe bhulne deti hai ki meri shadi kyun hui aur na hi koi mauka chodhti hain kuch karne ka, itni nafrat kyun hai mujhse?" She asked, her chin wobbling as she tried not to cry.
(What is wrong with her? I'm tired Amrit, She neither lets me forget why I got married nor does she leave any chance to do something, why does she hate me so much?)

"Shhh, she isn't worth your tears." He wiped her face with his thumbs, kissing her forehead, "Forgive me for my previous behaviour and the way I acted tonight, I'm ready to beg for forgiveness if needed, I'm guilty." He said, getting on his knees infront of her.

"You would've left me after 6 months?" She asked.

"Yes, that's what I thought when I agreed to marry you, I wouldn't lie but I stopped considering it after a few days, I married you...you were already my wife, what's the point of leaving you then?"

"The deal was for six months." She commented.

"There was no deal Roop." He sighed, sitting beside her, "There was never a deal." He shook his head.

"Stop-"

"No, remember where you were on your eighteenth birthday?" He asked, her eyes meeting his the moment he mentioned her birthday.

"A business party."

"Yes, I was there with my parents, when the host surprised you with a cake...that's when they noticed you but you were too young, slowly they started talking about marriage, our marriage and I hated the idea because I never wanted to get married and I slowly started the image of you I painted in my mind, my parents talked about you every time they talked to me." He cleared his throat.

"What are you.."

"I swear on my ma that I'm not lying, you can ask her if you want to, the marriage was never a deal. Your father was getting you married to someone twenty-five years elder than you, with a daughter the same as your age, that's the only reason we got married, papa got to know about that..and I agreed because it helped me build my image as a family man...." He completed.

"Then..then why did he.. why-"

"Breathe." He stopped her from speaking further, "If I wanted to end this, I would've ended it way before, giving you false hopes is a cowardly thing to do and I'm not a coward. You mean so much to me Roop and you have no idea of the effect you have on me."

Bringing her hand close to his mouth, he kissed the back of her hand, continuing, "Remember I told you? People love to target the weak, they're trying to break you, to put you against me...it's you and me against the world darlin', not the other way around, Yeah?" He asked with a nod.

She nodded back, wrapping her arms around him as she rested her head on his chest.

"I'm sorry you had to go through everything on your own." He murmured, caressing her back lovingly.

His body trembled as he felt her not responding anymore, her grip on him faltered as she passed out for the second time in the span of twenty-four hours.

...
Phew, things got pretty intense 😮‍💨
Although I didn't plan on updating today, I felt bad for making y'all wait for long.
Enjoy reading!

The book as completed 30 chapters, how are you liking it so far?