Arc 4 The Emperor

Chapter Fifty-One – The Emperor (1)

After autumn, the leaves that were once green turned yellow and fell from the trees.

The General's courtyard was full of leaves and the servants didn't have time to clean it up, so Chu Ting Xiu simply asked them not to clean it up, leaving the training ground to be filled with leaves, which was quite a sight.

There was no court meeting today, so Chu Ting Xiu was relieved and trained early in the morning in the training ground. When the spear was swung out, the withered leaves were scattered by the energy, just like countless yellow butterflies flying in the air.

It had been a long time since he had practiced with a spear, after a round, not only did his body relax, his mood was much better, and he wasn't so averse to dealing with those old stubborn people tomorrow.

Chu Ting Xiu is a General, a Marquis of the North, and in charge of all the troops and horses under the Emperor's rule, but he always gets a headache when facing those civil officials who are too weak to fight.

Chu Ting Xiu's grandfather conquered the ten thousand miles of mountains and rivers of the Great Qi Dynasty with Emperor Taizu, after which he was named the Marquis of the North, guarding the north, where Chu Ting Xiu grew up.

He had lived on horseback since he was a child and had developed his martial arts skills with his father. His years of fighting with the soldiers had made him a master of the art of war. And at the age of seventeen or eighteen, he had already become a young general respected by everyone on the frontier.

If there were no accidents, he would have been living in the North, just like his father, guarding the border for the Great Qi Dynasty.

However, things went awry.  

Emperor Taizu injured himself in his early days of fighting the enemy. He died within a few years of ascending the throne, and after his death, was succeeded by the late Emperor.

The late emperor was cowardly and was not born from the Empress of Taizu. The Empress was a rare woman who was no weaker than the founding emperor in talent and strategy.

After the late emperor ascended the throne, the power remained in the hands of the Empress Dowager.

Although the late emperor became emperor, but life was suffocating, and he was a man of many thoughts, so naturally he did not live long and eventually died early.

At this time, the Empress Dowager, who became the Supreme Empress, chose the present Sovereign as Emperor from among the several children of the late Emperor, who was then only ten years old.

The Empress Dowager, who has been in control of the court since her ascension to the throne, has promoted her natal clan and eliminated the rival clans, allowing the Zhou clan to override the Yan clan. 

This undoubtedly caused a lot of grievances in the imperial court, as well as those who followed Emperor Taizu in his fight for the country. Those who still had soldiers on hand were stirred up and eventually there was a rebellion.

Chu Ting Xiu's father, the former Marquis of the North, Chu Cheng, a somewhat eccentric but loyal man to the imperial family, was ordered to help pacify the empire, but he inadvertently died during the war, and eventually, at the age of twenty, Chu Ting Xiu took charge of the Chu family's army.

He was so young and energetic that he was able to quickly pacify the country with his unconventional use of force. The northern army of the province under his hands was even tempered into a tiger and wolf division during the war.

When Chu Ting Xiu was twenty-three years old, he was ceremoniously welcomed into the capital.

He was most impatient to deal with those civil officials, and was so full of discomfort at the time that he just wanted to get out of there early and go back to the North.