Chapter IV

- Caleb -

- See you tomorrow, Callie. - a smile is still plastered on my face simply by remembering his voice. He's such a child sometimes.

He looked so surprised and happy when I called him City Wolf. I don't understand how the future alpha can be so childish, especially at his age. He doesn't appear to be worried about becoming alpha, not in the least. It's so odd. All I've ever wanted is to be beta in command and now that I'm about to, I feel like I have so much pressure on me. Nymeria sure does as well. The pack's sake will be on our shoulders, well, more on Nymeria's, but I feel like it's my responsibility as well. It's captivating and a little annoying seeing him so unaffected by it.

A refreshing breeze brushes my skin. It's almost 20:00 and the sun's starting to set. Autumn just started, but the woods feel as if it were summer. I look forward to winter when the snow covers the forest in its white beauty. Being werewolves, we can easily get overheated. Wolves are naturally warmer than humans, we don't need coats to keep us warm in the cold. We can be laying on the snow shirtless and feel comfortable as ever. Which is why this time of the year is particularly hard on us. Summer's heat is still present, but unlike summer, in autumn it rains. Meaning that the water that falls will later be evaporated creating warm moisture in the air that makes it easy to feel suffocated. Nights are cooler, which is why I'm glad Alaric changed my patrol schedule to the afternoon. Of course, it has to do with the fact that I'm studying at River High and not of his goodhearted nature, but I'm still enjoying it. I just finished studying for tomorrow's lesson when I had patrolling duty. It's quite simple, walk around the area and make sure no one is meddling around. I'm not even near the cattle. Just patrolling the northside corner of our territory. Having Nathan's pack settled near us has proven to be extremely convenient; we don't have to worry much about invasions from the east. Though we send some scouts to look around just in case.

- I was wondering when I'd see you again. – a familiar voice said in the distance. I turn around to look at her.

- Nymeria, hi... - I greeted her. She's walking in my direction. Her white hair is wrapped in a ponytail. She's wearing some black shorts and a loose white shirt.

- You've been busy lately. – she said, completely ignoring my salute. I think she's upset about not being allowed to assist River High with me.

- Yeah... domestics leave a lot of unnecessary homework. – I told her. We call settled packs domestics, just like they call us rogues. I doubt they know about it though; it's funny, they despise rogues so much, and still, they know so little about us.

- It's better than hearing elders go on with their lectures for hours. – she commented crossing her arms. That's very true. I remember every single one of them.

- Yeah, you're right about that. – I agreed. Elders can be so damn boring and eternal. It's like they have no worries whatsoever and take all the time in the world. But we were taught to respect our elders, so we suck it up.

- So, what? You're too important to come by and say hi? – she asked harshly. Nymeria has a very strong character. Trust me, you don't want to be on bad terms with her.

- I just did a second ago. – I responded nonchalantly, suppressing a smile.

- Don't be condescending to me. – she said hitting my shoulder firmly. It hurt a little, but I laughed. Making her upset always gets interesting, and I always enjoy doing so.

- Chill, I'm just kidding. – I said looking straight into her eyes. They are blue like mine, but hers are sky blue.

- Well, stop before I kick your ass. – she said a little calmer.