Chapter XLVII

- Maya -

- No, no way. I refuse. – Jake repeats for the tenth time, very much upset.

- Jake. – I say, trying to reason with him.

- There is no way I'm letting you go back, not after the attack. It's too dangerous Maya! – he exclaims stubbornly, making me sigh.

I'm glad we are alone in a classroom, otherwise everyone would be hearing this discussion. We've been discussing this for almost an hour now. I've been fearing this conversation so much, I wanted to postpone it as long as possible, but Nathan is right, I need to see him. Jake is my mate and as much as I hate to admit, my soul longs for him every time we are not together. I love him. That's why we need to talk this out and get to an agreement we both like.

- The attack is done. Rogues won't attack again, not now, they are too weak. It's fine, trust me. – I say, keeping a calm tone.

- You said that the last time, remember? – he points out angrily. - You could've died! How do you think I felt when Alpha Nathan took half of the pack to your place? I was terrified! I had no idea what was happening; if they were going to attack you or if you were in a problem; I didn't know anything. For the Goddess's sake, I was freaking out back here, Maya! – he yells, tears forming in his eyes, showing me how much he cares.

My heart breaks and I get a strong urge to cry. My body acts with a mind of its own and launches at him, hugging him tightly. I can't fight the tears anymore and start sobbing in his shirt, like a child. I don't have to be strong with him, I allow myself to break down His hands hug me tighter and I feel his fingers forming circles lovingly against my skin. That's when his breath fell apart as he cried against me as well. Our scents cover the room freely, not want to hide my scent from him anymore. We remained like that for what felt like an hour but probably ten minutes. His touch is so soothing, it just feels right to hug him like this.

Eventually, we break the embrace, and my body immediately yearns for his touch. His eyes are red from crying, and he looks away to avoid eye contact, wiping the tears away. His face is all swollen and covered in tears, just like mine.

- I was scared too. – I admit, holding his waist. His eyes interlock with mine. – To be honest, I'm always scared. I act like I'm not because I don't want everyone to know the truth... that I'm weak. – tears fall down my cheek.

- Maya... – he calls softly, wiping the tears away and caressing my cheek. – You're not weak. You're the strongest person I know. – he says lovingly.

- But I am. – I interrupt. – I'm not as strong as people think. – my voice breaks, and a knot wrapped in my neck stops me from continuing.

- Why do you say that? – he asked.

- Because... - I sob and he hugs me tightly again. He kissed me lightly on the lips, easing my body.

- You're safe with me. –

- I'm always scared. – I say, finding my voice. – When Alaric said we were going to settle, the first day of school, when Dyrus challenged Caleb, during the rogue raid, even when I met you and realized we are mates; I was scared shitless inside. Because I knew... I knew that I would come to love and care for you. – I say. His eyes looking at me lovingly comfort me. – I care a lot for the people I love, that's why I don't like having friends. Nymeria and Caleb are the only ones besides my family that I allowed myself to get close to. – I explain further, he nods.

- Why? –

- Because the more people you let into your heart, the more you can get hurt. – I say, holding back the tears.