Chapter XXX

- Caleb -

I'm on my way to the crossroad and I can't stop thinking of everything that happened recently. My heart literally sank when I heard the warning howl yesterday. I was patrolling the area, and for no good reason, I just wanted to get out of my house. My dad wasn't there, and Mary was busy with the kids. I tried helping for a while, but I eventually got tired and went for a walk. I decided to patrol the area since the fresh air would do me good. I was walking in the night, feeling the fresh breeze of nightfall, and looking up at the stars when the howl reached my ear. It was far away, almost the other side of River Valley, but I still managed to hear it. This howl was different from the others, my pack has raided enough domestic packs for me to recognize that howl; they were under attack. My immediate thoughts circled around Nathan. I tried calling him, but the call went to voicemail. That's when it hit me, the devastating anguish in my stomach and the dire urge to throw up. I knew something was wrong, Nathan was in danger. Infiltrating River Valley territory without notification could be considered an attack, but I didn't care. Not when Nathan's life was on the line. I ran, I ran as fast as my legs could. The fresh breeze hit my skin faster and colder. I shifted while running, reaping all my clothes apart, and continued running.

I passed the border, and a couple of patrolling wolves saw me and signaled another warning howl, but I just kept running. They couldn't catch m, not at the speed I was running. I've never run that fast before. My feet weren't touching the floor, just swiftly skipping over the ground. I completely lost control when I saw that man on top of Nathan ready to rip and slash his neck. The walls started closing, the light started to fade, and I could only focus on them. I heard someone scream his name in desperation, stopping the wolf to kill my mate. That's when I jumped, I had to get him off Nathan, that was my top priority. I opened my snout wide and crush close, feeling bones snap. I tried getting the neck, but the wolf was smart enough to move out of the way and I bit his shoulder instead. My fangs sank into his flesh, and I wasn't going to let go. I shacked my head ferociously, trying to rip him apart painfully. I was blinded with anger, I wanted him dead, I wanted to kill him miserably and hear him beg for his life. I was forced to let him go, when another wolf threw himself on top of me, biting my shoulder. I threw him off my back and bite his snout. After that, the cowards decided to escape and disappeared into the forest. I felt the urge to go chase them, but the mate bond didn't allow me. I needed to know if Nathan was okay.

***** Memory Flashback *****

- I'm sorry I intruded on your territory. – I said firmly, trying to show them I mean no harm.

- How did you know they were attacking? – Alpha Nathan asked dead serious. He positioned himself in front of Nathan protectively.

- I heard a warning howl on the far, I was on patrol duty. – I explained as calmly as I could. My wolf urged for his mate, but I had to control myself.

- How do we know you're not lying and that's your pack? – Alpha Yannis interrogated harshly.

- Because that's not my alpha. I would've ripped his neck apart. – I answer without hesitation. Right now, I feel like an idiot for not finishing the job.

- Are you okay Nathan? – I ask locking eyes with Nathan and his beautiful green eyes. My heart is pounding like crazy, and my nerves are getting out of control.

- Yeah. – he says out of breath. I can see in his eyes he's terrified. My stomach drops and all I want is to comfort my mate.

- You're bleeding. – I say looking at his torso. He's bleeding like crazy, and it worries me deeply.

- It's not too serious, don't worry. – I tell him.

At this point, I need to hug him, more than he needs me to. My wolf is going crazy, all I want to do is touch him and make sure he's going to be fine. I can see the worry in his eyes. I take a deep breath and relax. I can't make a scene now. My heart aches, but I refuse to listen to my wolf. He growls at me, but I ignore it.