Chapter XVII

- Nymeria -

I climb up Caleb's house as quietly as possible, I don't want anyone to hear me sneak into his room. As I reach the window, I pull myself up, fortunately, the window is open. I am halfway in, one leg in and the other out, stopping myself from entering when I see Cal shirtless. He's staring at himself in the mirror. He's holding the necklace wrapped around his neck.

- Nice necklace. – I say. He turns quickly confused and then smiles.

- Hey, you came. – he greets me. I then proceed to enter his bedroom.

- Of course, I came. – I answer like it was a stupid comment.

- I didn't see you downstairs, I thought something happened to you. – he says concern

- My father happened. I'm avoiding him. – I explain briefly, sounding a little bitter.

- Because he's been looking for suitors... - he says matter of fact.

- Yeap, but right now I don't want to talk about it. It's your special day. – I try cheering up the mood.

- There's nothing special about it. – he says rather seriously.

- Hey, I'm supposed to be bitter, not you. – I try tickling his ribs playfully, earning a smile from him. He quickly embraces me in a deep hug, which I accept gladly.

- Thank you for coming. – he says lowly, with such a deep meaningful tone.

He holds me tighter, and I do the same, holding him closer to me. I can feel the heat coming off him, his bare chest pressing against me. My hands are on his back while he holds my waist. He smells so nice, like a mixture of dew and slight berries. It's so refreshing and sweet at the same time. I've always liked the way his scent is. After my mother died, he stepped up and helped me get through it. You can say he was my rock. Now, every time I remember that time, his scent comes to mind. It's strangely soothing and comforting.

I caress his back with my hands a little. The hug is lasting longer than I thought, but it doesn't bother me in the least. I don't want to let go. I take one last deep breath before we break the hug.

- So, how are you? – I ask lamely, still flustered.

- I'm great, never better. – he says genuinely content. – What about you, are you okay? – he asked concerned. I nod slightly.

- Sure, I just need some time to process what's happening. – I respond reassuringly.

- Have you spoken to your father about it? – he asked calmly.

- No... I'll delay that conversation as long as I can. – I say firmly, trying to avoid the subject. He nods in understanding.

- Maybe it won't be as horrible as you think... - he tries to ease the mood. I look at him baffled, what did he just say?

- What? I mean... yeah. I don't know. – I cut myself. I don't know what I want to say.

- We always knew this day would come. – he pointed out.

- Yes, but I don't like being...objectified. I feel like a means to an end, you know? Just so a guy becomes an alpha. I hate it. – I confess.

- That's what's been bothering you? You'll still be the alpha... - I interrupt him.

- Yeah, but why can't I be alone? Why do I need a mate for the pack to acknowledge me, to respect me? – I respond more upset.

- Everyone in the pack respects you, they love you. Try to see it from a different angle; you'll have a mate to cherish, love, and support you. – he points out calmly.