Chapter VI

- Caleb -

To think I was even considering giving them an opportunity. Maya is right, domestics will never change. They believe themselves to be superior just because they settled down and started living like humans. They are weak and entitled. Nymeria sure has good intentions wanting to form a pact with them. I just don't see how they could be of any use. They haven't even begun to learn the basics, at least I'm sure Nate hasn't. He wasn't able to hear the commotion of Luke and Jake about to fight. It wasn't even so far away. How is he supposed to learn everything before he becomes an alpha? Perhaps they inherit the title when they are older. Nymeria is supposed to become an alpha as soon as she finds her mate. If she hasn't found it before she becomes 19, Alaric is sure to arrange someone for her. That way, she can become a leader before she becomes 20.

She's been training for this since birth, we've all been training since before we could walk. There's no perfect time or enough training to ensure she'll be a good leader. The only way to find out is for her to take command and I'm sure Nymeria will do just fine. Now all that is left, is for her to get a mate. But that's a whole different subject. Maya and Luke are walking ahead, clearly furious from the previous incident. I'm just waiting to gain enough distance so that the domestics can't hear us, this will have to do.

- Okay... Maya, Luke, what happened? – I ask.

I wanted us to be alone so we could speak freely and calm things down a little before arriving home. That's why I forced Luke to step down. I even forgot my things at the library. Maya stopped as soon as she heard me, but Luke just kept walking.

- Luke! – I say more firmly, raising a little my voice. He stopped and turned to face me angrily.

- Oh, so now you want to know. I thought you didn't care. – he said bitterly. His eyes filled with rage; he didn't even try to mask his scent. It doesn't take an expert to tell he's mad at me.

- I do care, but I didn't want every domestic at school hearing us. Stop acting like a child. – I scolded him. He didn't seem pleased but didn't say anything further. – So, Maya... - I turned to face her. All of her is covered in paint, including her bag. Her hair is even stuck together in green paint. – what happened? –

- I was just coming out from my art class, when that idiot, Jake, and his friends cornered me and spilled paint all over me. – she explains trying to remain as calm as possible. – Luke saw the whole thing; he was just defending me. – it is only natural she'd protect her brother.

- It wasn't just that... they grabbed her and even touched her ass. – Luke added to which Maya gave him a death glare. – I swear when I see those guys again I'll... –

- You'll do nothing! – I interrupted abruptly. – Our orders were clear. Go to school, learn from their costumes, and NOT get into trouble. Or do you want to go against Alaric? –

- So, what? I'm supposed to just sit there as if nothing happened... I can't do that! - he said furiously, pointing with his hand towards the domestic's direction.

- That's exactly what you'll do, just like Maya. Because it's the smart thing to do... - I stated firmly. – For now, Maya, go get washed and try not to be seen. We can't have the pack thinking we can't manage ourselves. – I commanded and she nodded. Rumors spread fast here, the pack can't think their future Beta in command can't even handle a couple of domestics.

- So, that's your big plan? Get pushed around and don't do anything about it? – Luke said harshly.

- No, but I'll figure something out. Could you just help your sister and stay out of trouble? – I ask nicer. This seems to finally get through to him, although he's still wary about me.