Chapter XXIV

- Nathan -

I walk up to the main entrance door and knock twice; my heart is beating like crazy. I can feel my cold hands shaking as a catch a deep breath to control myself. I wait agitated for someone to answer the door. My nerves only spike more as I hear someone approaching. The door opens, revealing the face woman in her forties, with long caramel hair and brown eyes. She smiles back at me.

- Nathan, hi. I didn't know you were coming. Please, come on in. – she greets me, opening the door for me to enter.

- Thank you, Ms. Haynes, nice to see you. – I say nicely. I was doubtful but accepted her invitation.

- Nadia, sweety. Nathan came to see you. – she called louder; her voice echoed through the house.

I could hear Nadia standing up from her bed and readying herself with my wolf senses. I didn't tell her I was coming over, just showed up. I hope I'm not interrupting anything important.

- I haven't seen you in a while, how's everything going? – she asked politely, making small talk until Nadia arrived.

- All good. School's going fine and we just won the football game. – I respond politely. She's always been nice to me.

- That's nice to hear. Nadia's been stressing a little over school, but I guess that's just from extracurriculars. – she says.

- Yeah. – I chuckle a little. Nadia loves keeping herself busy, always joining clubs and events as if the school wasn't complicated enough.

It took Nadia almost no time to get downstairs. I thought she would take longer to get ready or finish her work, but I was wrong. She has her hair wrapped in a ponytail and is wearing jeans with a casual T-shirt. What's even best, she's has that beautiful smile that always makes her look pretty.

- Nate, I wasn't expecting you. – she greets, walking up to me and giving me a quick peck on the lips and a hug. Before I had time to respond, her mother's voice made itself present again.

- I'll leave you two alone. – Miss Haynes said, leaving the room and entering the kitchen.

- So, what brings you here? – she asked, a little flustered.

- Just wanted to see you. – I said casually, delaying the inevitable.

- Great. – she beamed a smile. – Let's to the living room to hang out. – she offered nicely.

- Actually, let's go outside. I've been feeling a little lightheaded and I think fresh air will do me good. - I lied, making up a pathetic excuse to go outside.

- Are you okay? You never get sick. – she said concerned.

- Yeah, don't worry. I just need fresh air. – I say once again, my hands cold from the nerves.

- Okay, I'll just go get my phone. –

So, as she went to grab her phone in her room, I made my way to the door. Guilt started to invade my body. I'm about to break up with her and I feel horrible about it. She's such a kind person, really sweet and nice to everyone. This isn't fair for her; she doesn't deserve this. But she also deserves someone that will love her completely and that can't be me. Not anymore. I see her rush down the stairs with a smile purse in her hand.

- Mom, I'm going out. I'll be back in a while. – she screamed so her mother would hear, and she agreed. – Let's go. – she says exiting the house.

- Okay. – I say and follow her, closing the door behind me.

- Where do you want to go? – she asks happily.

- Ummm, I don't know. Let's just walk for a while and then we'll see. – I say and she nods. – So, what were you doing? – I ask, trying to make small talk. We start walking on the sidewalk.