Chapter XLV

- Nathan -

****************

- You'll never do it. – the murderous psychotic voice of the rogue alpha resonates in my head.

The next thing I know, my hands are covered in blood. There's blood dripping from my nails, falling to the dirt. The red liquid feels warm and a bit viscous in my hands. My hands begin to shake, what have I done? There's red everywhere and suddenly the air feels heavy. I start gasping for air harder but to no success. My face looks up to see Caleb lying on the ground covered in blood. No, no, no. I rush to him and lift his lifeless body. There's black blood coming out of his mouth and wounds all through his body.

- No!!!!!!!! – I yell, my eyes crying inconsolably, blurring my vision. – Please... not you, Caleb! No, no, no, no... don't leave me. – I cry out.

- You did this to him. – that same voice whispers. I look up to see him lying on the ground, looking at me with a deep slash on his neck. – You did this to all of them. – he whispers.

It's like suddenly my vision expands and more corpses appear all around me. Hundreds, there's blood everywhere. My eyes drift quickly from body to body, all on the ground dead. What is happening?! Then my eyes stop at a familiar image, it's Luke, the left part of his face scratched. Next to him is Mason, his body torn open. I turn my face only to see my mom a couple of feet away. Her neck's been slashed and is still dripping blood. My dad's next to him, with the same wounds, and... no, Cole. More and more corpses start to appear, Nymeria, Alaric, Kaya, everywhere I look there's a dead body looking back at me.

- Stop it, stop this! – I yell at Klyn. – It wasn't me, I would never! –

- Oh, but you will... – he whispers. – You're like me, Nathan...

- No... - I cry, shaking uncontrollably.

- You are a killer.

Then I feel myself covered in blood, from head to toe. I'm dripping in it as if I just took a bath. My body feels so heavy and there is this nagging feeling in my bones and the back of my head whispering behind my ear that it's my fault. That all that blood from my family and loved ones will always be in my hands. I'm a killer.

****************

My body tenses and in one quick motion I push myself up. The sun is up and I'm in bed, blankets covering the lower half of my body as I'm sitting down. It was just a dream... I take a deep breath and my body relaxes. Wait a second, this is not my room. Where am I? My eyes scan the room, but I cannot recognize anything. There are two nightstands by each side of the bed. Some warm blankets are covering my legs. There's a bigger bureau in front with a mirror by its side. There's a window, halfway closed on the left, letting the morning light enter. The door is closed. There are no frames or any pictures whatsoever that can signal my whereabouts. A small breeze caresses my body soothingly and a faded sweet scent brushes my nose. I inhale deeper to try and recognize it; vanilla and morning dew... Caleb? Is this Caleb's room? What am I doing here? My head aches a little and I can't remember a single thing after the fight with Klyn... Tybalt was in his wolf form; he launched us. Calen pushed me behind him to protect me. What happened?

My mind begins to wander, and I try hard to remember when footsteps start approaching, every time getting closer. My heart picks up with each step; they continue until ultimately stopping at the other side of the door. I can see the shadow through the gap at the bottom of the door. My nerves begin to spike as my imagination thinks of an infinity of scenarios. An image of Tybalt crosses my mind imagining the worst. The doorknob slowly twists, and the door opens. Fear rushes in my veins as the figure enters and my eyes shut.