Chapter XLIV

- Caleb -

Nathan's smile faded and his eyes blanked as he fell to the ground. One second, he was fine and the next he fainted. My body moved out of instinct and caught him before his head hit the ground. I can feel him, feel his pain coming from the sharing link of the pack's bond. All those feelings, all the pain and torment must've overwhelmed him. His mom immediately reacts, rushing to her son. She falls to the ground next to me, extending her arms. Choosing not to argue, I slowly pass my mate to her mother's arms.

- What is happening to him? – he asked, worry emanating from her.

- The pack bond must've been too much for him to handle. He lost consciousness. – I explain, sensing his body.

He is still covered with a few scratches from the fight. That makes no sense, that was over an hour ago. They may be from an Alpha, but it shouldn't take this long to heal. He is an Alpha now, which should exponentiate his healing process. Other than that, there is nothing physically wrong; he must be suffering from some sort of trauma that is not allowing him to heal.

- Convel, bring the healers, they'll know what to do. – Alaric ordered. The Beta in Command nodded and was about to head out when Nymeria spoke.

- No, they're busy tending to the wounded. It's like Caleb said, his anguish is mental, and they can't do anything about that. – she said calmly. – Maya will know what to do. Go find her, she should be with Lena and the children. – she added.

- That may not be the wisest idea right now, Alpha. We've only just agreed to this new alliance. – Lawrence advised Alaric.

- What do you mean? My son is in pain, do something. – Yannis yelled, aggravated by her son's condition.

- I agree, but the healers are perfectly capable of dealing with this situation. My advice rests with them. – he explained briefly, making sure not to say too much information.

- Dad, if you truly trust this alliance then we need to be completely honest. This is the perfect opportunity to take that step, it's your call. – Nymeria speaks diplomatically.

Maya is the pack's biggest secret and most important asset, probably even more important than Nymeria and she knows it. Alphas can be born, Alaric could still father another child if he'd want to, but there hasn't been a healer in centuries. Exposing her to another pack risks the pack's safety as well as hers. It's a big risk, one that we previously would never take. However, Nymeria is right, if this alliance is going to work, then River Valley needs to understand every aspect. We can't hide a secret that big. Alaric takes a couple of seconds to carefully consider both options. He stares at Nymeria, trying to decide if it's worth the risk.

- Fine, do as she says and bring Maya as soon as possible. – he orders and the Beta leaves the room.

The future of our alliance, no, the future of the Lazarus pack now rests in a thread. They didn't know we housed a healer when Alpha Nathan agreed to the alliance. If they take the news wrongly, then everything can go down the drain. Harboring a healer would only endanger the packs even more. Rogues attacked merely because they saw an opening, there was no malice or revenge in their actions. If word spread of a healer, countless packs would come to take her by force. Not to mention hunters, they'll surely come to investigate.

For what feels like an eternity, I can only watch Nathan squirm in his mother's arms. I can feel his pain, discomfort, and anger growing. There's no way of blocking the pack's emotions while he is in this state. If he woke up, then we could teach him how to subdue the link until it's bearable, but right now I can only watch in affliction as my mate's slowly suffering alone. He's sweating from his head and his body temperature is increasing. Another ten minutes go by before the sound of the main door opens, and Maya and Convel arrive.