Chapter LVI

- Nathan -

Moon, please have mercy on us because I'm about to lose it. Seriously, could the Fowler live any further away? I feel like I've been walking for ages and we're still not there. According to Violet, they live in a house on the other corner of River Valley. I should be thankful she's willing to help, but the waiting is killing me. I want to know what's happening to my mate, the sooner the better.

- Come on guys, can we please pick up the pace a little? – I ask nicely but am a bit frustrated.

- I'm sorry, I'm not as fast as you guys. – Violet apologized. Her sweet voice sounded genuine.

- Bro, chill down, the book's not going anywhere. Violet is doing her best. – Mason says, defending his mate.

- I know, I'm not trying to be rude, but... – I say but pause trying to find the right words.

- You're worried. We get it, it's your mate on the line. We would be the same way if it were our mate. – Kaya says emphatically. I simply nod.

- I wouldn't be worried. The color of a werewolf's eyes is usually a representation of their abilities or their roles in the pack. – Violet explains nicely her knowledge. – It doesn't indicate if they are dying unless they can't make their eyes glow, which could indicate they are weak by poisoning and probably dying. But you know, those are very evident cases where you know something is wrong, and I'm starting to speak too much. I should probably stop. I'm sorry. – she rambles on embarrassed.

- Okay, that was... informative. – Kaya comments playfully, trying to lighten the mood.

- Sorry, I tend to ramble when I'm nervous. – she apologizes.

- It's okay, that was very cute if you ask me. – Mason says nicely.

This mother fucker is flirting with her in the middle of everything. The huntress simply smiled back, and they shared a moment looking at each other. Kaya and I exchange glances, not sure how to act. This is a lovely moment, but now it's not the best time.

- So, this book you talk about. What is it about? – I wonder, trying to dig for more information.

- Oh, um... I think it was about werewolf history. – the girl responded.

- Werewolf history? – I question.

- Yeah, it's my father's copy, really old. I remember the book was almost falling apart. – she described it further.

- I don't understand how a history book might help us understand what's happening with Caleb. – I point out.

- Hey, there's no reason to be rude. – Mason protests, the mate bond is clouding his judgment.

- Frankly, I don't see it either. – Kaya agrees. – We have history books; I think I remember reading about a werewolf with purple eyes. –

- She's just trying to help, guys. – he once again comes to her aid.

- I'm not trying to insult your library or your pack, but I think our research might be a little more thorough. My family is one of the oldest hunters, they've recollected a lot of information about your kind over the years. Not just settled werewolves but rogues as well, we know a lot about werewolves, maybe even more than yourselves. – Violet explained respectfully.

- See? That book might be the answer to everything, it's our best shot. – my friend responded.

- It's a long shot. – I corrected, turning to face Kaya. Right now, she's the only one thinking clearly of us, I trust her.

- Well, it's our only shot too. What can we lose, right? – Kaya says.

We continue in the direction of Violet's house. It takes us at least twenty minutes to get there, but we finally do. Being a house on the outside of River Valley means the house is big. It could probably house two medium families. It's almost like a summer house for the whole family. It makes sense for the hunters to live together, after all, they are taking precautions, and living together is safer when surrounded by werewolves. Still, it makes me wary.