Chapter XLVIII

- Caleb -

Tonight needs to go absolutely perfectly for the weeping tree ceremony. The pack needs to mourn the loss, it's going to be a tough night, but it's a night we need to have to get better. Being the future Beta in Command, all the arrangements fall on my shoulders. Actually, Convel's and mine to be entirely honest. We haven't had time to speak about Dyrus, so things are a little tense between us. Well, they've always been tense, but right now they are straight-up uncomfortable. I just hope he doesn't blame me for his son's exile, I never meant for any of that to happen. I just wanted to protect my mate and my pack. Either way, setting the awkward boss and subordinate relationship aside, today has been an extremely busy day.

For starters, I had to make sure that all the trees were arranged, that the graves were dug properly, and the bodies were ready for burial. Not an easy job considering I knew every one of those persons. Seeing their lifeless bodies revolted my stomach, I hadn't eaten since breakfast. Not to mention the security. Since tonight is going to be a mourning event and the whole pack will assist, we must make sure to be 100% safe from any possible attack. After peaking with Alpha Nathan, he agreed to send some werewolves to help patrol the town's boundaries. Gregory, Luke, and I spend all the morning teaching and instructing the domestics in case of any possible scenario. Then, there was a problem with the cattle. During the attack, most of the cattle scattered to different places. We've been sending scouts to locate them, but it's proving to be more challenging than anticipated. It required my presence to retrieve a group of 26 cows and 6 sheep, I had to run for an hour to get there and almost three to gather all the animals and get them back safely.

Afterward, I went with Lawrence to speak with the elders because they had some questions regarding my mate. They lectured me for over an hour about how irresponsible I was for not telling anyone about him, followed by a two-hour discussion regarding the implications of mating an Alpha and all their worries about him living with us. This is exactly why I don't like speaking with them. It was a dilemma of its own, that didn't even result in anything. I apologized for my actions and assured them that nothing bad was going to happen, but they insisted on meeting my mate. So, I guess that Nathan and I will have to come by at some point. I'm dreading that conversation already. And if that wasn't enough, there's the reconstruction plan for reconstruction. Alaric is closely supervising that area, alongside Gregory, Luke, my father, and, oh that's right, Convel and I. Seriously, being a Beta in Command is time-consuming.

- Convel, are the preparations ready for tonight? – Alpha Alaric questioned.

- Yes sir. – he responded firmly.

- Are the domestics in their posts? –

- For the last two hours. –

- What about the cattle? Are the fences fixed and carefully secured? – he continued inspecting his mental list.

- Yes, Caleb helped retrieve a big horde some hours ago. – the Beta added.

- Good. I'm going to need to speak with Alpha Nathan tomorrow. I need you to arrange a meeting. – he spoke commandingly.

- Of course, sir. I'll do it right away. – the other responded. His face turned towards me immediately. – Call Alpha Nathan right now and schedule a meeting for tomorrow morning. Clean up and get ready for tonight, okay? – he commanded me, and I simply nodded.

- Great. Where the fuck is Allan? I need to speak with him about the pipelines. – Alpha Alaric said, starting to walk away with Convel.

I take a deep breath and let the air out in a big sigh. I can't catch a break, now, can I? I take out my phone and call Nathan's dad. He must be tired of me calling to ask favors already. Seriously, if it weren't for the help River Valley has been lending, we'd be in worse shape. Everything related to Alpha Nathan has been my responsibility to schedule. For some reason, Convel refuses to speak with the Alpha directly. I don't know if he's just abusing my relationship with his son, or he simply has no interest in talking to the man. After a quick phone call with the Alpha, we agreed to a meeting tomorrow at 9:30 am. That was the earliest I managed to get because he had some work stuff before. I hope it will be fine.