Chapter VIII

- Caleb -

*** Ring, ring... ring, ring... ***

That damn thing rang for the hundredth time this morning. Maya hasn't stopped calling me ever since Nathan gave her that device. She's like a pup with a new chewing toy. I know that sounds derogative, but judging by the circumstance, it fits perfectly. I don't even need to look at the name to know it's her. I mean seriously, who else would be calling me this early? I wish that thing to shut down once and for all. Seriously, it was two in the morning when her last call entered. I was about to head out and murder her. If it weren't because rooms are a little soundproof, my family would as well. Now, it's barely 6:00 in the morning and she's already calling.

*** Ring, ring... ring, ring... ***

- What?! – I answer upset after pressing the green button. Putting it near my ear, just like Nathan taught us.

- Oh, my goddess, this is amazing... - her voice emanates from the small device. She completely ignored me.

- Maya seriously, stop calling. –

- Chill, Cal. I was just calling to check up on you. Wanna go train? – she asks casually, making me more upset.

- It's 6:00 in the morning. – I protest while rubbing my eyes.

- So? We're losing daylight. – Oh, goddess just kill me already.

- Maya, I worked nightshift patrol, and I'm tired. – I complain, having no intentions of getting up this early.

- Come on, you can sleep in the afternoon. – she insists, damn she can be stubborn.

- Do I have to? –

- See you in 10 at the arena. – and with that, she ended the conversation leaving that annoying sound on the phone.

I stand up against my will, my body irritated from the overwork I've been putting in since the elders and Alaric asked me to. On top of that, I have to walk every morning to that school and now Maya doesn't let me sleep. I put some clothes on and head to the arena. My siblings are still asleep, I envy them. They have nothing to worry about, my goddess I miss those days. As I walk towards the arena I greet several pack members, they all seem happy. At least they are adapting well to the change.

- Good morning, you took forever. – Maya complains as I approach her.

- Yeah, whatever. Where is your brother? – I replied tiresomely.

- Is that how you treat your girlfriend? Jeez, no wonder nobody likes you. – she nagged with a playful look.

- What are you talking about? We're not dating. – I remind her and yawn a little.

- Yeah, I know. Still, it wouldn't kill you to be a little more affectionate. – she says dryly. Where is this all coming from?

- What? – I ask bewildered.

- Just messing with you. I simply like nagging you. – she says with the nicest smile on her face.

- That's why you woke me up at six in the morning? To bother me. – I wonder; she can be unbelievable sometimes.

- Nah, I was serious about training. Come let's go for a run. – she said turning around and heading towards the woods.

- Hey Maya. What do you think about domestics? – I ask, making her stop to face me. She frowned at me confused as to the question.

- The same, they're insufferable. Why the sudden question? – she asks back.

- No reason, just wondering. – I simply respond.