Chapter VII

- Nathan -

I haven't seen Jake since yesterday's argument, guess he's been avoiding me. I'm sure he's upset with me for benching him in his senior year, but he needs to learn to follow orders. Besides, I won't bench him all season, just a couple of games. My dad told me he will think of a different punishment, that'll take some time. Until then, he's out of the team. As for the others, there's no explanation for their behavior. Now, walking through the hall, everyone in the pack is looking at me differently. It's like they are afraid of me somehow. They don't even gossip, they just stare at me distrustfully. Is this what being an alpha will be like? Making decisions and those who don't approve staring you down. No wonder my dad doesn't frequent the rest of the pack. I just wish, they stopped judging as if they knew better. Entering the classroom, I spot Caleb and the others, just the wolves I was looking for.

- Hey... - I salute lamely earning their attention. Really "Hey"? After yesterday's fiasco, that's the best I could come up with? They don't greet me back, just stare at me like everyone else. – So, I came here to apologize. –

- We don't want your apologies. So, get lost. – Luke says harshly.

I turn to look at the others. Caleb didn't contradict Luke in any sort of way, he doesn't even bother to see me in the eye. Guess I fucked up this time. Maya saw me for a couple of seconds judgingly, before turning away. She's wearing a completely different outfit from her usual. Normally, she'd show much more skin. Now, she's wearing jeans and a long sleeve blouse, covering herself. Embarrassment washes through my body. She must think it was her fault or something... so she decided to change to avoid it repeating.

- You look nice today, Maya. – I compliment her, trying to ease some tension. But it only creates more since both rogues turned to me even more confused. – Ummm... you changed style... it looks good on you. – I stammered out. Oh, my goddess, just kill me already.

- Perv. – she says after a while and looks at me with disgust.

- Not like that. It's just that your clothes fit you... augh, forget it. That sounds creepier. Just... you look nice today... - I repeat myself bashful. Maya looks at me doubtfully.

- Aren't you gonna say something? – Luke demanded Cal, hitting him softly on the shoulder. They exchange looks before he turned to me.

- I think you should leave, Nate. – His voice didn't display any emotion. It hurts me to hear this, he doesn't trust me anymore.

- Sorry, I meant... - I tried explaining but he interrupted me.

- I know what you meant. – he says even more seriously. – But it's weird for you to tell my girlfriend she looks nice. I don't like it. – he states. What? His girlfriend? He never mentioned he dated anyone. Maya is unfazed, ignoring my existence again.

- Oh... sorry. I didn't know... – I apologize and before I could make a fool of myself, even more, another voice entered the room

- Hello class, good morning let's start. Mr. Bryce, please take a seat. – the teacher called.

I've never been so grateful for a class to start. I had no idea how to respond. No wonder Caleb's so mad. Not only did Jake cover his girlfriend in paint, but he also disrespected her by smacking her ass. Oh, my goddess. Could this get any worse? What am I gonna do...?

- Dude, what the fuck? – Mason's voice pops me out of my bubble. – I didn't know those two were dating. – he said.

- Neither did I. – I respond astonished and confused.

- We've got to get Jake out of school. Do you know where he is? – he whispers.

- What? Why? – I asked.