Chapter XXIX

- Maya -

Where the fuck is he? I can't believe he's late again; I'm going to kill him. I told him to be here at 18:00 and he is half an hour late. Goddess, it infuriates me having to wait for people because they're unpunctual. I have better things to do than wait for that jerk to arrive. I bring out my phone and dial his number. My phone starts ringing and so does a sound a few hundred meters away too. I focus harder on the direction where it's coming from. Jake. Not only can I hear him, but I can also smell the immense amount of cologne he's wearing. That shit smells disgusting, it's too potent and disturbing, and it gets right up your nose. It's hard to smell something else with something so strong nearby.

- I'm already here, there's no need to freak out. – his voice says arrogantly as he answers the phone.

I started thinking of so many snarky comments, but I restrained myself from saying any. As upset as I am right now, I simply ignore him and hang up the call. There's no point in screaming at him over the phone when I can do it personally in a couple of seconds.

- What's up? – he says carefree as he approaches me.

- You're 30 minutes late, that's what's up. – I snark at him.

- And I'm already here, no need to be all grumpy. – he responds, making my blood boil even more.

- You're unbelievable. – I exclaim and look away. I take a deep breath to try and calm myself down.

- No, what's unbelievable is that you didn't answer any of my calls last night. – he complains angrily.

- I told you I was going to be busy. – I shout upset.

- You could've still called back afterward. – he points out.

- Are you seriously upset with me? You know something, forget it. You made me late last time for training. I barely got there in time before Gregory started training. – I remind him.

He wanted to spend some charity time with me and practically begged me to stay. I reluctantly agreed thinking it would be a good idea but then he refused to let me leave. I had to run back to the arena. It was a close one, fortunately, Gregory was late too, and I got there in time.

- All I'm hearing is that you didn't get into any trouble, so stop whining about it. – he snarks back.

- You're an idiot. – I tell him angrily. He just pushes all my buttons.

- You know something, I don't appreciate you insulting me every chance you get. – he comments offended.

- Well, I wouldn't insult you if you didn't act like an asshole every time. – I yell at him.

- See? My point exactly; you don't respect me. You don't take this relationship seriously. – he accuses me.

- Are you fucking with me? – I say, unbelievable.

- No, and not because of lack of trying. – he comments stupidly.

- My Goddess, can you please shut up and take things seriously? – I say frustrated.

We manage to stop bickering enough for me to take a deep breath and relax. He can be so stupid and stubborn sometimes. I still can't believe we're mates. I don't understand why the Moon Goddess would do such a thing to me. I've always been nice to everyone, well, everyone in the pack. I don't cause problems and I contribute actively to strengthen the pack. My mate is a domestic, ha, it's almost like a bad joke.

- So, you just brought me here to insult me? That's it? – his voice breaks the beautiful silence keeping me in peace.

- Jake, can I please be the girl in this relationship for once? – I snark back calmly.