Chapter XXXVII

- Caleb -

After my discussion with Nymeria and Alaric, the Alpha wanted to tell the pack about the marriage. It's very early, 6:50 in the morning, but Alaric wasted no time organizing a pack meeting at the biggest area, the training arena. He howled loudly so everyone would know it was urgent. Usually, he would hold a council meeting first to discuss everything, but he already did that, and he didn't want any rumors about me being mated to Nathan to be filtered to the rest of the pack. It would only bring a bad word to my claim as Male Alpha. Besides, we had to do it now before River Valley found out and tried stopping it.

We walked quickly to the arena; wolves started coming outside their homes to see what was going on. Everyone looked at us as they followed behind, concerned and alert. Nymeria gave me a sympathetic smile to try and calm me down, but it didn't help. I can feel Gregory running toward us. Larisa and a group of Elites accompany him.

- Alaric, is everything good? – he asked concerned as he reached us.

- Gather everyone in the arena. – the alpha commanded.

The Gamma ordered the Elites and they spread. Something this serious generally means trouble, like a rogue invasion or war. Gregory only grew more worried and stayed beside his Alpha, ready to protect him and Nymeria. Convel was waiting impatiently in the arena, knowing that the pack meetings will take place there. As soon as he saw us, he walked toward us, Dyrus by his side. He gave me a disgusting look before turning to Alaric.

- What is he doing here? – he questions, spatting in my direction.

- This meeting is about him. – the Alpha simply said.

The Beta smiled arrogantly and didn't question further. He probably thinks that Alaric is about to announce my withdrawal from the Lazarus pack, and his son's assentation to Beta in Command. I smiled internally, that idiot has no idea what's coming. It brought me some satisfaction in me if I'm being honest.

It took less than thirty minutes for the whole pack to arrive. Everyone is present. The council, along with Nymeria and I, are present in the center of the arena, the pack surrounding us. Having everyone's attention like this is certainly nerve-racking. I never thought about this. Guess I'll just have to get used to it if I'm to become a good Alpha. I take a deep breath to control myself.

- Thank you, everyone, for coming. – Alaric began speaking. – Don't worry, we are not under attack, but I do have a very important announcement to make. – he says firmly.

The whole place quiets down and listens closely to the Alpha's words. They show a lot of respect for him. The council is attentive as well. I turn to the left and see Luke and his family nearby. They are standing just a couple of feet away. Right, he'll be announced as the future Gamma. It's a very important thing for Luke, although I think Maya's not too happy about not being chosen. She would make a great Gamma, I'm sure, but Lawrence is right, we cannot risk her. If anyone finds out she's a healer, all the packs in the country would come after her. They'd kill everyone and anyone to have a healer among their ranks. As strong as she is, she's still a healer before anything.

- As you know, my daughter, Nymeria, has defeated a top Elite. She has completed her training and is ready to take charge of the pack. – he says loudly. – However, recent events have forced me to postpone her succession. So, along with the council, we've decided to make some changes. – he says, looking at Luke.

- Luke Hemming will become the future Gamma. His skills and strength have improved greatly. I can assure you, he's worthy of the title. – Alaric claims.

The pack claps and cheers for him happily. They love him. Marissa, his mother, pushes him reassuringly to walk. He exhales deeply, gathering himself, before making his way to the center. He's nervous, I can tell, I'm sure he'll make an amazing Gamma. I look at Maya. She's smiling at her brother, proudly, happy for him despite her feelings. After a while, Alaric raises his hand to calm the multitude.