Chapter XLIX

- Caleb -

- Hi Mary, how are you? – I ask entering the house.

The woman is wearing a black dress, not a formal elegant tight dress someone would wear to a wedding, but a nice casual black dress that looks really comfortable and nice on her with no shoes. It's still weird to see people walking around barefooted. To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan. I like wearing shoes, they are comfortable and quite frankly look cool. I've only been here for a weekend, out of which I spend almost all the time in Caleb's room, so I haven't gone out. I wonder if I'll ever get used to walking around barefoot.

- Nate! – she greets happily. – I'm fine. How was your day? – she asks nicely.

- It was okay, I guess. I got to see all my friends and spoke with my family. My brother is a little upset but nothing to worry about. – I say.

- I see you brought more clothes. – she notes, looking at the suitcase.

- Yeah. As much as I love to, I can't wear Caleb's clothes all the time, they are just too big. – I chuckle.

- You two make a lovely couple. – she compliments.

- Thanks. – I blush a little.

- You know, I did always wonder if Caleb was gay, or at the bare minimum, interested in guys. – she admits, making friendly conversation.

- Really? – I ask shocked. – I never suspected it at all. –

- Don't get me wrong, it's definitively not like acts gay or anything, but he's 19 and he's only ever had one girlfriend, his best friend for that matter. I remember being his age, it's all hormones and pleasure. But not Caleb, he never sneaks out late at night, never hangs out with any girl.... nothing. I'm sure you know by now how fast things move in this pack. To be honest, I was beginning to worry about him. – she jokes, making me laugh.

- Really, no one? – I wonder, intrigued.

- No, it's like he never had any interest in finding a romantic partner, which is quite shocking considering how good-looking he is. Seriously, half of the girls his age practically drool as he walks by them. For the Moon Goddess, even Alaric's daughter is head over heels for him, he never noticed. – she says.

- Nymeria has a crush on Caleb? – I ask, baffled by the information.

- A huge crush, you just got here that's why you haven't noticed. – she says. A small worry sensation starts growing in my stomach. – I wouldn't worry, though. Nymeria is not that kind of girl and Caleb just has eyes for you. – she adds quickly.

Then all the bits of information started to make sense, like pieces in the puzzle fitting together. Nymeria has always wanted to marry Caleb, that's why she's still single, and it's why Alpha Alaric agreed to it. Caleb's dad must've found out about Nymeria's crush on his don and took the opportunity to make him Male Alpha. No one had any idea that he was already mated to me, it's not their fault but ours.

- O-okay. – I stutter, not sure how to feel about it – You dressed up, any reason? – I ask, changing the subject.

- Didn't Caleb tell you? – she asks. I simply shake my head in response. – Well, to answer your question, we are holding a ceremony for the wolves that died during the attack. It's called the weeping tree; the pack gathers around, and we bury the bodies next to a weeping cherry tree, hence the name. It's a very traditional custom that helps mourn the losses and guide the souls of the fallen to the afterlife. – she explains.

- Wow, it sounds important. – I respond at a loss of words.

- It is; the pack needs this. We were fortunate not to lose someone, but a lot of families weren't as lucky. We are going to show some support and help in whatever way we can. Caleb oversaw organizing the whole event alongside Convel. –