Chapter XI

- Nymeria -

I was studying with Lawrence about the importance of memory transference in claws. It was boring as hell, with so many theories and warnings. The only fun part is learning how to take someone's memory, but I don't even get to try. He kept lecturing me on how this is essential, and that I should know about this stuff, but it's just not a priority for me. I should be learning how to lead and stuff like that, but my dad believes that's for me to figure out.

Then, out of nowhere Gregory showed up and escorted me back home. He is being very protective and weary right now. What's going on? We took longer because of Lawrence, he's 60 so he can't precisely run. Once we entered the room, I was surprised to see Convel, Gregory, Dyrus, Lawrence, and my dad present. My dad is facing the wall, with his hands intertwined from behind. Everyone else is standing up and attentive. This is a council meeting. I quickly walk towards his right side, and nerves start growing inside me, this is serious.

- Now that we are all present let's start. – my dad's baritone voice fills the air. He turns around, causing everyone to straitened and listen carefully.

- Caleb is not here yet... – I say respectfully. It is customary for the future council to be present during meetings.

- He's compromised, along with the Hemming twins. – Convel intervenes harshly. What does he mean by compromise?

- Nymeria, listen. – my dad makes his voice present again. – Thank you all for coming so quickly. Gregory just informed me that elites spotted hunters entering the domestic territory. – he says catching everyone's attention.

Hunters? What are they doing here? Are domestics are allied with the hunters? How is that even possible? That means that Caleb and the others are captured. No, this can't be happening. Wait, let's not rush to conclusions. Tension filled the air; I am a loss for words.

- When? – Dyrus asks.

- Just now, they entered their territory and were welcomed. – Gregory explains further.

- Do we know how many? – Convel asks in a demanding tone.

- They saw four trucks. It's hard to say how many they are. – Gregory clarifies.

- Are we sure they are hunters? – I finally find my voice to ask.

- Affirmative. One of them had a tattoo of two guns and a rose underneath. – he explains. – They were carrying guns as well. -

- That means it's the Fowlers. – I say quickly recognizing the symbol.

- Do we have any intel about Caleb, Maya, or Luke? – Lawrence asks. Gregory shook his head.

- No... we must prepare for the worst. If domestics have an allegiance, we need to be ready to fight. – my dad's alpha voice commands.

Silence once again took over the whole room. It's a serious decision. If we mobilize and it turns out to be nothing, we could compromise the peace treaty with the River Valley pack. On the other hand, we can't wait for something to happen. We must protect our own. I'm worried sick about Caleb, he's my future beta and best friend.

- Gregory, double the patrol near the crossline east and south. If a rock moves, I need to know about it. No one gets within two kilometers.– he orders.

- What if they get closer? – he asks in a serious tone.

- Give a warning howl, but do not engage unless necessary. Take Dyrus with you. - They nod but don't leave. They want to hear the whole plan.

- Convel, start mobilizing the pack. Kids and elders need to be safe. - my dad commands confidently, not one shed of doubt in his tone. It's weirdly comforting in such a tense situation.