Chapter XXVIII

- Nathan -

I'm extremely tired, I went to sleep very late last night. The history quiz was tough, just like I thought. I'm probably going to flunk it, but it doesn't matter, it was worth it. Talking to Caleb over the phone was so unexpected, but I loved it. He's very funny and smart, I'm sure my pack will come to love him as well. I can't stop thinking about what Caleb told me the other day. "I know firsthand how close a Beta and an Alpha are...". He said it with such ease and confidence, it made me wonder how close he is to the future Alpha. And then I started thinking about my friendship with Mason. He's my best friend and I love him like my brother, but I never considered telling him. It makes me question if we're as close as I thought. I've been ignoring him since the football game. I could only think of Caleb even before the mate bond appeared. The only time we speak is at school and that's it. He wanted to tell me something last week, but I just ignored him and left with Caleb. I know I just found my mate, but still, there's no excuse for my behavior. I knock on the door twice and wait for someone to answer, not long Jeremiah answers the door.

- Nathan, we don't have training today. – he says.

- I know, I came to see Mason. – I tell him, and he nods.

- Let me call him. Mason! – she yells loud enough for him to hear.

- What? – his voice sounds faint from upstairs.

- Nathan is here to see you. – he yells again. - Come in, he'll be down soon. – he says and opens the door.

- Thanks. – I say nicely.

- I'll be in my workspace if you need me. – he simply says and leaves me alone.

I started lurking around the house, looking at the pictures. They are so many, and Mason is in every single one of them. So many memories, you can see how much he's grown by looking at them. I stop at one in specific. We are hugging by side next to a pool with our shirts off and smiling widely at the camera. I remember that day, it was his 15th birthday and we celebrated at Kaya's house. A smile spreads on my lips, we had so much fun that day. The whole pack showed up, and Kaya's parents were about to go crazy.

- Hi. – Mason's voice snaps me back to reality. I turn around to see him.

- Hi. – I say glad to see him. He doesn't look so happy though, he has a stern face.

- Is everything okay? – he asks, but I can't help feeling that he's upset. He's not smiling and warm like usual.

- Yeah, yeah... I just wanted to see you. – I tell him calmly.

- Now you want. – he says harsher, rolling a little his eyes. Yeap, he's definitively pissed.

- You're right, I've been a shitty friend lately and I'm sorry. – I apologize.

- And it took you three weeks to realize it? – he spats under his breath.

- Okay, you're upset. I get it, you have every right to be, but I want to make it up to you. – I tell him nicely.

- How? – he asks in a cold serious tone.

- Let's go out for a walk and talk, like old times. – I suggest.

- It's dark outside. – he says harshly.

- We don't have class tomorrow. – I point out and he considers it for a second.

- Fine. – he reluctantly agrees, and we head out.

I wonder if he's also angry with his dad; he usually goes and tells him whenever he's going out. It would also explain why Jeremiah was so cold and distant. I just hope it was some stupid argument and not something serious. We walk down the street in silence for a while. The fresh breeze of the night hits my skin. There are no clouds in the sky and the moon shines brightly, surrounded by stars. It's almost full, I can feel that tomorrow will be a full moon. It's quite a lovely night.