Chapter XXXIV

- Caleb -

Dinner with Nathan went better than I believed it would. Alpha Nathan and Yannis weren't happy about our relationship at first, but we managed to convince them. The rest of the dinner went by quickly. Cole came back down and was all thrilled about me becoming part of the pack. I don't know what I did to get him to like me, but I'll take it. We continued talking about how to come out to the pack. We agreed we wouldn't tell anyone until Nathan and I tell my pack, which we plan to do on Wednesday. Nathan's dad seemed very accepting of us after the whole interrogation. Although, I don't think Alpha Yannis is completely on board with the situation. I couldn't smell anything coming from her, but she didn't seem so happy about Nathan and me being mates. They said it will be difficult for the River Valley pack to accept me as Alpha because I'm a guy. I learned that homosexuality is a delicate subject for domestics since they live alongside humans, and they adopted many of their beliefs. Gay couples are accepted and tolerated, to a certain degree, but not among high-ranked members, especially Alphas. Guess I'll have to earn my spot in this pack as well. Fortunately, I have my mate to help me this time.

It was starting to get late, and I decided to head home, I'm still a member of the Lazarus pack after all. The wind howls, chillingly brushing against my skin, as I walk in the dark. The forest is darker than usual, the only illumination coming from small gaps in the clouds showing the stars and moon, shining a dim light. The tall trees make it even harder to see, but I'm able to see because I'm a werewolf. The forest is quiet as well, I can only hear leaves crushing under my feet as I walk slowly in the wilderness. A smile paints my mouth thinking about Nathan. My heart beats passionately, we are so close to being together.

- Caleb! – a sound in the distance catches my attention. A familiar figure approaches me quickly.

- Nile? – I say a little confused. He seems agitated, making me worry. – Are you okay? – I say when he reaches me.

- Quick, the Whitlock pack arrived. They are asking for a meeting. – he says agitated. What?!

- What do you mean? – I wonder, starting to get flustered.

- They showed up on the western border. Alpha Alaric is meeting up with them at his house. You can still make it. – he says quickly.

- Shit. – I simply say and start running.

The Alpha's house isn't too far away, I can make it within five minutes. I accelerate, leaving the scout behind easily. Entering the town, many wolves are out. I can feel the tension in the air even at this speed. What is the Whitlock pack doing here? That confirms it, the scouts, currently captive, belong to them. Fuck. Just speaking to them can endanger our relationship with River Valley and hunters. This can't be good news, not if Alaric agreed to a meeting so quickly. Making my way through the masses, I reach the Alpha's house. It's surrounded by my wolves, all pending and ready to fight.

- Sorry, coming through. – I say, walking between a small group.

- Good, you're here. – Nymeria says.

- I heard what's going on, are they here yet? – I ask, walking up to her. Alaric is not around.

- No, my dad is waiting in the living room. Gregory and Convel will be here in no time. – she explains briefly.

- Any word on how many they are? –

- 12. – Lawrence's voice says from behind. – Now listen, your father has agreed to let you guys inside. You are to listen and remain quiet, okay? – he states firmly.

- Yes. – we agree.

- Good, now stand up straight, they are almost here. – he says standing beside Nymeria.