Chapter V

- Nathan -

It's Thursday and we still haven't finished the chemistry project proposal. I meant to ask Caleb if we could meet yesterday after practice, but he was nowhere to be found. I suppose he returned home when classes ended. It doesn't bother me though, it gave me time to work on homework and spend time with my friends. We gathered at Mason's house and watched some movies, just close members. Today, again, I made the same stupid mistake. I just got out of showering; I hope Caleb hasn't left yet. Otherwise, I'll be doing the project by myself. My heart is pounding from running to the library and walking up the stairs. If I hurry, he may still be there. Right at the end corner of the library, near a window, the rogue sits with a book in hand. Some relief comes to me knowing I won't be doing the project alone. I walk towards him slowly, not in a rush anymore.

- You got here sooner. – he states nonchalantly and lays down the book revealing his piercing blue eyes.

- Yeah... I want to get this project done. – I respond. It's not the absolute truth, but he won't notice.

- Okay then. – he closes the book. I started taking my notes when I noticed how advanced he was on it. He's almost done with the whole book.

- You're almost done with it. – he looked at me and I gestured to the book.

- Oh... yeah. I still have a couple of chapters left. – his voice a little taken aback.

- You just got it two days ago. – I point out.

- It's a good book. – he said but for some reason, it sounds doubtful. This made me choke a laugh.

- What are you laughing at? – he asked, his tone rough tone coming back.

- Nothing... I'm just impressed that you sure seem to like reading for someone who doesn't have books. – I said with a smile.

- Well, I never said I didn't read. – he countered. His tone certainly isn't friendly but neither threatening nor upset, just bold.

- Touché. – I responded. He does make a good point there. His face is blank, not knowing what to say. Perhaps he didn't understand. – Oh, touché is an expression we use... - I'm interrupted.

- I know how it's used. – he says bitterly. - Do you want to do the project or not? – he circles back to the project. I smile a little at his response. I still haven't gotten used to his bluntness, but it's fun being with him.

- Okay... - I responded lowly. – Well, we just have to define the purpose and that's it. – I say, reminding him what was left.

- You covered it the other day, remember? – he started. - To help defenseless humans heal. – he mocked my tone with a much higher pitch than my own.

- We can't write that. The teacher is a human. – I said seriously meeting his eyes.

- Fine. – he remarks snarkily. Why is he like this with me? I hear him speak with his friends and his no way this moody. – Just write something like, the healing properties of combining natural substances could be used on a broader spectrum of wounds and diseases than conventional medicine. Therefore, reducing the reliance on pharmaceuticals and providing an economic and healthy alternative. – he states nonchalant. I'm astonished, did he just think of that on the spot?

- Wow... that's, very good. – I lamely responded, not finding the words. He furrowed his eyebrows and looked at me weirdly, bringing me back to reality. – Yeah! let's go with that. – I said this time more decisive.

- Okay... – he says and starts writing a draft of what he just said. I just look at him while he continues.

I noticed he's left-handed, which is uncommon. Usually, we are taught to write right-handed. I don't think there's anyone in the pack who's left-handed. The only people I know are all humans, not werewolves. This just makes him even more interesting. I mean, maybe rogues don't care about those things. I'm not even sure why we do, to be honest.