Chapter XXXV

- Caleb -

The words hit me like a truck. There are no words to describe how deeply perturbed and confused I'm feeling. I can feel my chest contracting and my lungs stopped breathing for a couple of seconds. My head can't form a coherent sentence, it stopped working. I'm left standing befuddled trying to process the words. Me... marry Nymeria and become the next Alpha? Wha- what's going on? Why would Alaric suggest such a thing? I don't understand anything. I feel lightheaded, my blood pressure drops quickly. My lips dry and I can't speak. I look around, trying to make sense of what's happening. Everyone looking at me seems just as surprised and confused as I am. Their stares prove that they had no idea of this idea. Even Maya seemed to have calmed down and is looking expectantly at the situation. Then I turn to my dad, he's smiling proudly at me, but I'm too startled to smile back and instead turn to look at Nymeria.

She's standing behind her father, I can see her over Alaric's shoulder. Her face is paler than usual. The moment our eyes meet, she turns to look elsewhere. Did she know about this? Why would Alaric decide such a thing? The Alpha stares at me firmly, analyzing my reaction. His gaze is so firm and menacingly that I don't know what to do.

- I'm sorry, what? – I manage to snap out and talk. The words came off shakily.

- What you heard. You'll become the next Alpha. – he repeats clearly.

- Alpha. – Convel interrupts. – Are you sure this is the best decision? The boy is just a kid, he... - he comments, but is quickly interrupted. I'm too baffled to take it personally.

- The boy, as you called him, defeated Gregory in a one-on-one. He's proven to be more capable than you think. – Alaric says firmly. – Besides, this deal works perfectly for you and your son. I know you always wanted him to be Beta in Command instead of Caleb. – he adds harshly.

- That is true, but it shouldn't influence such an important decision. – the Beta says respectfully.

- I believe that what Convel is trying to say, is that choosing the next Male Alpha should be a decision to be discussed by all the council members. – Lawrence explains calmly.

- Council members? This is not an arranged marriage; none of you have any say in this matter. – he exclaims firmly, upset even. - The only one who has a say in this is my daughter Nymeria, who chose Caleb. –

I immediately look at her, she can't even look back. She's simply standing straight, facing Gregory and Lawrence, ignoring my presence. Nymeria...chose...me? No, that can't be right. It's impossible, she would've told me. This makes no sense; I can't become Alpha of the Lazarus pack. No, no, no, no, no, this just complicates everything.

- Alpha, with all due respect, he's not qualified for the title. – Convel argues strongly.

- He's right sir, Caleb has trained all his life for Beta in Command. He doesn't have a clue about how to be an Alpha. – Lawrence says smartly.

- And who does, Lawrence? No one is trained except Nymeria. I'll teach him personally. He's smart and adapts quickly, I'm sure he'll learn quickly. – he adds.

- That would mean that, from now on, his top priority would be to become an Alpha. He can't continue with his studies at River High. – the Delta says smartly.

- That's the plan. –

- Why do I get the feeling Allan here had something to do with this sudden decision? – Convel says, looking at my father suspiciously.

- He only pointed out the possibility, but Nymeria was the one to make the decision. To be honest, I agree with her. – he says firmly, looking at the blond, soon to be, alpha. She smiles at him.